by wealthy i meen?

Posted , 2 users are following.

What is wealth exactly? I have been reading some posts on this site today and it has dawned on me more than ever just how wealthy I am? Don't get me wrong I am in no way referring to financial worth although I understand that to some wealth comes in the form of materialistic attributes and financial abilities. No, after reading some posts I will write my observations and let you dear reader decide. I educated myself, I studied in libraries, read book I colat my hands on, I know many phrases and sentences in 5 languages 6 if include sign language. Before my breakdown I had at least 40 close friends and the acquaintances in the hundreds. I shied away from the world yet I get at least 5 phone calls aday to see how I am, people knock at my door to check how I am, I know all my neighbours on first name terms, owned my own home b4 I was 20, travelled many destinations around the world, well I can go on but again that will just be material things. Now there comes the person who attended the best schools, studied hard, parents spending plenty of money to achieve this, they get their degree, go into business realise their dream and have a nice home, lots of materialistic objects to treasure and plenty of money for retirement? no friends, the friends you could have you think maybe after your money so decide to be alone, no one knocks to see how you are, only colleagues as acquaintances but money in abundance? Who is the wealthiest, the one with a hundred+ pairs of shoes and Cartier watch who spends their day with nothing to do except look at the material assets destined to grow old alone and unwanted or the one with friends to help them out, to worry about them if they are ill, who would volunteer their time to tend you if I'll? I know which one I believe is the richer of the two and I am in the lucky position that I don't find myself able to look down on anyone less fortunate than myself.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi again Night Owl. I am not surprised to read how hard you have tried to succeed in life and you have it all. Because as you say wealth is not just about money or possessions but about being cared about or being liked. But you would not have achieved those things unless you had a lot of backbone, determination, the willingness to study, to learn, to sacrifice time, to be committed and to be interested in the first place. When people tell me I am LUCKY I have a lovely house etc I say LUCKY? NO. I was studying and working very long days seven days a week while you were sitting in bars and going on holidays and watching tv. I was saving and you were spending yours on holidays, drug, drinks, cigarettes and other silly things. We all have choices. Because the one thing we are all equal on is how much time we hvae. We all have 24 hours in a day and 7 days a week and it is up to us how we spend them. Even a billionaire still has only that time.

I cringe when someone says "I have to go and visit my auntie tomorrow, it is so boring I hate going" when they did not hve to go at all. And usually they go because they are bored or it looks good or they want to make sure they dont end up having an argument or losing their place in her will, not because they have to, they get some sort of secondary benefit from it.

I used to know an old lady who worked in a charity shop. She told everyone who caring she was to work there for a afew hours a week. When she was ther she just stood around drinking tea and gossping with the other ladies who were the same. She rarely did any work. Then when they were going to shut down the shop she was petfified because going there and standing there drinkiing tea with other old ladies like her was her social life. So she was not the caring compassionate unselfish person she pretended to be.

So I dont think you are lucky because I think you deserve this lovely life you have and you hve got it through making the right decisions, sometimes choices, sometimes sacrifices. Good on you.

• Posted

Hi Carmel and thanks again for your kind reply, like so many others my life as been far from easy, when I was about 30 I noticed some deaf lad struggling to comunicate on a bus? I never found out what he was trying to say but I left that bus with that impression on my mind and the very next day I took up sign language? Not full time of course Ihad so much going on at the time, still if I ever bumpt into that person or another deaf person who needed assistance hopefully I,d be able to help. I've had no backing, my father drove a truck for a living and worked hard all his life and when he died he left nothing but a good reputation. I know what it's like to be dirt poor also what it's like being relatively ok. A person's character is more important than the have or have not, I've built my character brick by brick and my foundations are solid. I still strive to improve myself although for the past few years I've put things on hold trying to get my head round losing my sister in such an agonizing and prolonged way. I will make a mark on this world, no matter how small, what may seem insignificant to some meens so much to me, I haven't failed often in most things I've set my mind too and unless I have an untimely death or something just as harsh I will not fail at that? Wow, deep or what? Haha. Thanks hun.
    • Posted

Well you have certainly made your mark on this site and I am sure you can do so in the REAL WORLD if you want to as well. If you have not already. You come across as a determined person who thinks outside the box and puts things into action. Most just moan about something or talk about it non stop, which is really just a waste of time isnt it.

But to do something - such as learning a bit about sign language - is quite different. It helps people.

• Posted

Ur ur absolutely SPOT ON !!!

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

Hi hope? (Like one of the seven dwarfs saying that? I hope I hope? Haha. Thanks for engaging, found some lovelly people on this site who've helped me through some difficult times, your reply was so short yet so sweet, that you, your username is intriguing and I hope all your hopes soon become realities. Thank you for your kind post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.