Bye Bye taste buds!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Greetings all! I have been prescribed 50 mg Tramadol Capsules & have been taking them for just over a week and I have noticed the following two things have happened since being on them;

1) I have no appetite as in I just don't feel like eating anything/not interested in food &

2) When I DO force myself to eat something-YUK!-All I can taste is if it is Sweet,Salty or Bitter but none of the complexities of the individual item itself are apparent AND the categories are over enhanced i.e the Salty/Sweet/Bitter tastes really, REALLY Salty/Sweet/Bitter. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

fk

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Stop taking them asap before you get addicted. More problems will start. Look for other meds.

• Posted

Peter- I couldn't agree more with You, I've not been the same since I started them, still on going issues since I stopped taking them after only 4 months of 1- 2 caps per day.

They get dished out like Smarties and then don't understand you when the problems start!

• Posted

Hi, I take Tramadol on an as needed basis because I DO NOT want to become addicted to them. I never have that "SE". I also take 50 mg. I suffer from Neuropathic pain. It doesn't even help for the pain!. Can I ask what you're taking them for,?

• Posted

Hi Marie,

I have had Pleurisy and the pain in my right lung was excruciating.I tried Paracetamol/Ibuprofen/Aspirin but they had no effect at all. I ended up at the GP's and they prescribed other medications & Tramadol which did work but I noticed the absence of taste after taking them for a week, which was weird as I've never taken them before. Thankfully the pain has started to subside so now I've stopped the TRAMADOL and can manage it with Paracetamol. My taste buds are slowly starting to come back thank goodness and so is my appetite. Very weird experience.

fk

• Posted

I have been warned against Tramadol, I am wondering if it is a fairly new drug used for chronic back pain.  I have suffered back pain for 42 years? 
  • Posted

I started taking tramadol and after a week I had exactly the same experience.

1. Constant Nausea.
    2. I have no appetite as in I just don't feel like eating anything.
    3. When I DO force myself to eat something-YUK!-All I can taste is if it is Sweet,Salty or Bitter but none of the individual item itself.
    4. I can eat boxed cold cereals with milk. That doesn't taste bad; the sweetness is OK. Fresh corn on the cob is OK. Chocolate milk and chocolate candy is OK.
    5. I'm 74 years old and never had these sensations before. I don't think that I have ever been prescribed Tamadol before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.