Bypass and mild acute pancreatitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mom had a bypass surgery on 14.03.2018. We took her home after that. After 3 days she started complaining about left side stomach ache, vomiting and had high fever 101, 102. We rushed to hospital again where doctor told its mild acute pancreatitis. Now the stomach ache is gone but the fever doesnt go away. I dont know what to do. This entire month we are at hospital. Is pancreatitis after bypass surgery that bad???

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You don't say what kind of bypass.  Contact her doctor immediately, the one who's been treating her all along.  Depending on the type of surgery she had there could be a complication that needs attention.

It's not uncommon for pancreatitis to be triggered by surgery.  

Whilst we suffer pancreatitis attacks differently there are some universal symptoms such as fever.  The thing is you say the pain's gone, which usually means the attack is gone or at least settling down.  With my attacks the fever goes when the pain does.  Perhaps your Mother has an infection for another reason which requires immediate attention.

• Posted

Any pancreatitis is bad.  The pancreas is one organ that can’t be fixed. 

After my acute necrotizing pancreas attack I had a temp if 101 or higher for 3 months.  Mine was due to the necrotizing.  I had emergency procedures to remove the dead pancreas 6 times.  It finally worked in Jan and I have been fever free.  Still have pain everyday but it is a livable pain. 

Wishing your mom lots of luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.