c/diff killed my mum

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mum went into hospital with a broken ankle, she was 83yrs old. For her age she was a fit, dignified lady. Her treatment in hospital was appauling. She was bedridden as she had a pot on up to her hip and 3wks down the line I found the start of bed sores. The lady in the next bed had bad diarrhoea and dirty pads were left on the floor, we could see our mum going down hill fast and wanted to bring her home but were flatly refused. Mum then developed diarrhoea but nothing was done, we were not informed of the c/diff untill we wrote a letter to the N.H.S. asking for an explination. She was sent to another hospital, still with diarrhoea, where my sister found her 2 days later covered in her own dried vomit trying to catch it in the lid of a date box. 2days later she was rushed back to the 1st hospital where they removed her bowel, she died 4 days later. We requested a meeting with her consultant and some ward staff, but they declined. This is just a small account of my mums 8wk in hospital, it reads pages. It shouldnt have happened.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello my name is Lynn. I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. I know exactly how you feel, my dad also caught diaorhea and also had his bowel removed, and 1 and half litres of pus from his stomach. This was after contracting cdiff. We watched helplessly and no one takes any blame or even so much as apologises. Our hospitals are a disgrace. I have written to our MP but have not had a reply as yet, my next step is to make a complaint to the N.H.S Trust. I hope your pain eases soon but unfortunately you can never forget.
  • Posted

Tricia have you looked into the site www.cdiff-support.co.uk, what happened to your Mum is an absolute disgrace. On the website posted above you will find advice and info on what and if you would like to do next to have this disgraceful care your dear Mum received addressed.

gwhite.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your mum.My mum had a sub arachnoid brain haemorrhage susequently contracted MRSA and now has c-diff.It took the hospital four weeks to actually tell us she had this.I wrote to the hospital trust and it took them 5 weeks to reply to the letter and it confirmed she had c-diff.All through my mothers treatment we have continually struggled to get the hospital to be honest with us-they seem to block every avenue.My mother is terribly brain damaged with no hope of recovery but they will not withdraw treatment and let her die with some dignity.Why do they want to prolong this awful existence for her and us.

In my experience you will never achieve any satisfaction from the NHS trusts-they always seem to have an answer for everything and will not listen to reason or opinions.The doctors will not make time for appointments with us and al the staff are guarded and non comittal.Its like banging your head against a brick wall

• Posted

My family and I went through a similar hell. My mum went into hospital for a hip replacement op and was sent home with c diff, which went unoticed/unchecked. After becoming very sick at home she was eventually sent to a different hospital and ended up in the critical care unit. Things became worse and after a bowel op my mum died.

I noticed at the eleventh hour the Doctors/Consultants started giving us various explanations for mums condition. C diff, the hospital bug that turns doctors into politicians.

Three years before this happened I was in a different hospital after having had a car crash. I contracted MRSA and nearly died. I've heard all the reasons or excuses as far as hospital bugs are concerned.

Needless to say I hate the NHS and the failing death traps they call hospitals. Don't get sick in the UK.

• Posted

I really feel for you, it all sounds so familiar sadly. My Mom was also killed by c diff. She was admitted to hospital with a broken hip. Was making good recovery for an 85 year old until she started being sick, was then discharged to step down care where sickness continued and diarrheoa ensued. What a crying shame to see my independant Mom deteriorate, be readmitted back to hospital and get so ill with c diff that she wanted my sister and I to take a hammer to her head to kill her. She was neglected by the hospital, some nurses promoted the wearing of pads, somedidn't, there was no consistency in the treatment of Mom. She developed leg blisters that drained onto the floor, one nurse instructed for a small blister to be bandaged, this bandage was left on for 9 days and the blister developed into an horrendous, infected leg ulcer. The day my Mom died we finally got to see Mom's consultant who could not tell my why my Mom was dying! Even I could see she had developed bronchopneumonia but he didn't know if it was that or an infection in her toe! Something really must be done by the Government to make our hospitals a safe place to be. My heart goes out to anyone who is going through what we have this year. We are now waiting to have our say at Mom's inquest in December.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.