C.I.C problem, help badly needed

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I am looking for some urgent advice

I started doing Cic 2 days ago, and although I have been methodicly clean I now have an infection, I have been to the doctor this afternoon and been given trimethoprin, however I can only pee about 25ml without the cath at the moment, I assume thats because my urethra is swollen, I have had a bit of blood through the cath yeasterday moning and this morning and also when I was shown how to do it at the hospital.

Am I safe to try self cath again ?, I would imagine it's going to be a bit painfull, but I really don't want to go to hospital.

Opinions please would be much appreciated, I am getting very stressed about this.

Any advice greatly received

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Scraggs,

It's very common to have an infection (UTI) when you first start to self cath, so not to worry, things will work out. 

As to your present situation, the UTI is probably what's making it difficult naturally void. Just CIC instead. In fact, while on antibiotics you might want to increase the frequency of CIC so that your bladder isnt' holding too much stagnant urine. That way the antibiotic will work better. During my last UTI, I cathed 6-10 times a day until things calmed down. As for pain, it might be a little more because of the UTI, but not too bad. There is also something called Azo or Uribel that might help with pain until the UTI resolves. 

Jim

• Posted

WHOOPS. I was responding to a post five months old! 

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.