C-Reactive protein

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm trying to go through my blood test history of my inflammation markers and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the C reactive protein acronym are on a blood test. The Sed rate (ESR) just shows up as Sed Rate but I can't find the C-Reactive Protein and I'm sure it goes by some other name on a blood test.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

CRP?  Where I live they won't do both at the same time - suppose it saves money and they feel it's a duplication. rolleyes

• Posted

Usually it is just called CRP - even here in German speaking Italy it is called CRP! I have never heard it called anything else other than CRP or C-reactive protein.

As Anhaga says - some places don't do both ESR and CRP as they regard that as duplication so maybe it just wasn't done.

• Posted

Amkoffee, my tests are for both CRP (C-Reactive Protein) & ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) and that is how it is written on the form. I hope that helps. ??

• Posted

what does this test tell us about  inflammation as it relates to PMR, thanks.
    • Posted

All both ESR and CRP tell you is that there is inflammation or infection present somewhere in the body - but not what or where. It is a non-specific test and doesn't mean anything specific in relation to PMR.

When someone has relevant symptoms that fit the typical picture for PMR, all other options have been ruled out and they respond typically to a moderate dose of pred then it is possible that monitoring the ESR and/or CRP may assist in assessing the progress of the treatment. As the pred reduces the level of inflammation then the ESR and CRP should fall - and if there is a flare they may rise - but that isn't 100% certain.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for answering. It sounds as if my question made people angry and I don't understand why. I don't think that my doctor is testing both markers every time but I know she has tested both in the past. So I'm not finding anything like CRP on the list of blood test results going back several years. And this is why I asked. And the only real reason I'm interested in compiling this information is because my ESR was going down and then I finally got a normal test and then it shot right back up. If I remember the numbers right it went from normal to 43. Not a dangerously high level but it is high according to the lab. It is frustrating that as I I am finally successfully reducing my prednisone my ESR would shoot up. My rheumatologist expressed some concern over it too.

• Posted

No, I don't think anyone was angry - just there really isn't any other name for it that I have ever found in several healthcare systems. 

If you list what IS on your lab sheet maybe someone will have an idea.

• Posted

Mine says Serum C Reactive Protein Level. Perhaps you have only been tested for ESR?
  • Posted

Well I've been in contact with my rheumatologist and she was able to see at least the last 2 times that she tested me for my CRP. And she gave me the results of the last two. So then I contacted tech support for the website because it should be showing me all my records. That proved to be useless so since I have the results from the last two from my doctor I've just decided to leave it alone. Oh and those results were 2.5 on my last one and the one before that was 1.5. I am a little confused by that because I thought 2.5 was normal and she said it was slightly elevated.

• Posted

Hi there,

There is an hsCRP. This is a more sensitive CRP and measures lower levels of CRP. It is normally run as a cardiac test. It is always possible that it was ordered by the lab person instead of a plain CRP.

• Posted

I have noticed that I do not get all my tests on the on-line website. It seems to depend where the test was done. I find it really annoying. All tests in hospital are totally ignored and even my GP seems to have trouble getting them as they seem to have two computer systems. Possibly even more!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.