C spine and neck ligaments pain - physio not working

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had MRI scan showing some bulging disks and left side compression.

I've been working with a physio to improve the condition but it isn't improving.

My symptoms include;

# Headaches (constant and increases to very bad - starting from the back, feels like a tightening strap around my head)

# Sickness (feeling and also physically being  sick mainly with v strong headaches)

# Pain (neck and left side from shoulder to ear)

# Ears feeling full and achoey everyday  (like on a plane) No infection

# Disorientation (similar to being drunk staggering and my thinking and memory are definitely worsening)

# Light sensitivity in my eyes (have to always look down)

# I also get very warm - People wearing coats and jackets but I'd have just a t-shirt and be swetting

# Left side weakness arm and leg

Had another assessment from my physio and he also found that my left side is weak, decreased neck movement, my ligaments in my neck are not firing correctly, consistant with someone who has been in a serious car accident - I have not been in a car accident, however I was in a pedal bike accident going about 50mph downward slope unable to stop  and thrown maybe 2 metres onto the road landing on my right sidr with head taking the brunt of it - makes sense that I now have left side c spine compression. *I did not remember this so physio has not been told*

Doing exercises but they arent helping, I would say it worsens when doing the exercises.

I am not on any meds and have not seen a consultant regarding this problem.

What would you suggest to do a it is getting too much daily?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

See a neurosurgeon immediately.  Have him/her order a CT/Myelogram WITH CONTRAST.  It's the "gold standard" test for the spine.  Gives the neuros a complete map of your spine.

The question is then what's the diagnosis and remedy.  They can do a lot of things.  Examples...

- Had severe sciatica.  Nothing worked.  MRI was inconclusive.  My spine guy went in and found a bone spur at L4 literally "crushing" (his word) my sciatic nerve root at L4/L5.  Simple laminectomy at that point to get rid of the spur.  Walked out pain free; remaining nerve irritation gone in a few days.

- Lots of lower back pain a number of years later...again nothing worked.  Neuro did the MRI and CT/M...declared my lower lumbar area looked like a "junkyard" (again, his word).  L3 through S1 TLIF (conventional) fusion...rails, spacers and screws.  12 days in the hospital, 4-6 months rehab, back brace for 6 months.  Worked great.  No pain now.

- Severe stenosis (sciatica down BOTH legs) last October. Source was a very bad L2/L3...confirmed by MRI and CT/M.  this time, had an LLIF (LATERAL fusion...they go in through your side).  One overnight, no rehab, all pain gone instantaneously.  Just some residual nerve pain from the root retraction for a few weeks.  Now it's perfect.

So...  Depending on the diagnosis (where and what's wrong), you can have this fixed by the appropriate procedure.  Don't live in pain...totally unnecessary...

• Posted

My worry is surgery

I am only 25 and do not want surgery to then effect me in a negative way as I get older.

But I also dont know what surgery would achieve as my pain from nerve hurts but it is managable

• Posted

You might not want to hear the truth but you really have to know what's wrong to either fix it or prevent further damage.  You need to know the answers and your options.  Any other path could result in more pain and damage.

• Posted

Why haven't you seen anyone yet, other than your Physio? Who has reviewed your MRI test results? See your doctor for medication to help, and absolutely seek a referral to a neurosurgeon for assessment.

• Posted

My physio is the senior so we waited for the MRI report which showed left side compression and some bulging discs

Had nasal surgery which helped the neck pain and headaches due to me resting a lot.

Not seeing my physio for another 3 weeks but will see my dr next friday for meds as I am in constant pain and discomfort

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.