C Trac & carpal tunnel

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi- I have been sufferring with CT for a good number of years,,, the symptoms are usually relieved by changes of occupation and rest- and sleeping in a splint at night. Recently, due to a lot of log sawing etc my one hand and forearm are much more painful and tingling as soon as I grip anything- wether that be a pen / toothbrush / car steering wheel etc- the smaller the item to grip, the faster the numbness occurs- so, in desperation I invested in a ligament stretching device- ''C Trac''- which does seem to help ( although at first it felt like it was getting worse )- I just wonder if anyone else has tried this device ? And if so, did it help ?I now work as an artist and fine art restorer , and am very reluctant to have any invasive surgery- just incase anything goes wrong- could be my career down the drain- so am hoping the C Trac will be the answer !!! Jax.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would recommend surgery as the only way to go. I had private tunnel release surgery on 19th April with a local anaesthetic. It was a quick, painless procedure. Had my stitches out on Friday.

Which area are you from? I would recommend my surgeon.

Jan

• Posted

Yes, I have tried this C Trac stretching device also and I am a chiropractor.  I use my hands, wrists and forearms all day and they usually hurt by the end of the day.  Unfortunately, this type of device is great if you don't continue the aggravating activity.  I couldn't take one year off work (my orthopedic surgery suggested this), so I tried it.  It gave me tremporary relief, but then I just went back to work and it started up pretty quickly.  I have not had carpal tunnel surgery, but my partner had it on both wrists.  He had good success with both and continued to work as a chiropractor until he was 88 years old!!  It is a very often done surgery and an anatomically simple surgery, so because of that the surgeons have got really good at it.  I have not heard of any adverse side effects from this surgery.  I would continue as long as you can with the C-Trac and try not to do too many repetitive actions with your hands, rest them when you are not working if you can.  In future if it worsens you can always have the surgery.  Good Luck!!
  • Posted

Hi, may I know what type of splint you are using. And is it effective?
    • Posted

Alex

Hope you don't mind me asking, have you considered surgery?

My surgery only lasted approx 20 mins, went to theatre at 8.00am, on my way home at 10.00 - no more using a splint, no more pins and needles, no more numbness or sleepless nights. 

Jan 

• Posted

jannybibby, appreciate the advise and congrats on your successful operation. However I have read some other feedbacks that surgery for them did not work well.
    • Posted

Alex

I was very lucky in that I had an extremely good surgeon who is well qualified in hand and upper limb surgery.

My carpel tunnel was moderate to severe and the surgeon said that if I left it until it reached the severe level then it would not work so well. Maybe people have left it too late before having the surgery.

It's 3 weeks post surgery today for me, I have driven twice, quite painful still but things are improving every day. I will be going back to work in a week's time.

The evening of the surgery, I knew it had worked because the pins and needles had gone and  I had a good night's sleep, pain killers and red wine helped too.

I think surgery is worth a try even if it doesn't work.  I didn't want to be wearing a splint long term.

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.