C25k

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok I've decided to get fit. Properly (very very overweight woman). Over a year ago I broke my tib & fib, so plates and screws in place. This September I did the cycling challenge 300 miles of cycling over a month. Had no discomfort in ankle region and improved over time in fitness. Following on from cycling, I want to do the couch to 5 k program and get into running. So on Monday I did the first program (almost died physically, out of breath etc but I did it!!)  had aches in my ankle when I arrived home, like it had been worked on.. Gave myself a rest day as advised then repeated the 'run' (more like a snail jog!) this morning,  but now I can barely walk for stiffness and pain. Is this normal?! Should I be having longer rest days or should I not be doing running at all?! Rang for docs/physio appt but nearest appt is 2 weeks and was signed off and approved of physical activity anyway. I also kinda want to be running the 5k by new year (it's a 9 week program so expect it will take longer) The ache kinda reminds me of beginnings of walking after non weight bearing, when you've overdone it a bit and have to RICE. Anyone else had issues in running? And taking it up?! Bearing in mind the last time I ran was probably 20 years ago!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, but I think swimming would be a lot safer or even cycling.
  • Posted

I have had an ankle fusion and been told that I will never run again, I'm lucky that I can walk. No more bike riding either. I swim laps however now told I need to do weight bearing exercise for my bones may take up pilates when I feel 100%. My op was in January had hardware taken out in April.

• Posted

I'm not sure what you mean by very, very overweight, but think about the fact that any extra weight we carry (and I have about 25-30 pounds of excess myself that needs to go) is adding additional stress to our ankles. Couple that with the running surface (what were you running on? pavement? a running track?) and it would be easy for you to overdo it and potentially cause further injury. Perhaps you might want to ease into it by training on a treadmill in the gym first, or continuing with your cycling. Perhaps working with a personal trainer would be the best approach as they could develop a custom program to help you get back into running.

• Posted

I was running on a grass track, with the dogs in tow. Thought it would be better than running on the road. Have to say today my ankle is absolutely fine, no aches no stiffness! But I do agree and will look into a personal trainer. Defo think I could use the help in this! Dunno if anyone's seen the couch to 5k program, it's run (jog) for 1 min, walk for 90 repeat until ready to progress to next stage hence why I thought this program would be good. Not like I've just ran for 5k, in fact it was 8minutes altogether!! 

Physio did sign me off on all physical activity, asked about cycling and the gym and she said you are good to go, but whether this stretches to running is another question! Will revisit and get professional guidance! 

• Posted

Hi Abi, firstly, well done for the 300 miles cycle challenge and for being determined to to get fit.  From the sounds of it you're not young any more (I'm 55 so I know what its like) and taking up any activity later in life will be tough.  Just imagine, for your body it is like you suddenly waking up in the middle of the night and having to sprint 400 metres - not funsad.  I would recommend that you avoid running for a good while and maybe stay with the cycling.  Running is a high impact sport where you can be putting from 9 to 13 times body weight through your joints and 5 to 10 times body weight through your Achilles tendon - not good when you have some excess weight and a leg injury.

I used to run but have had to stop because of osteoarthritis and I'm currently 11 weeks post ankle fusion.  I used to laugh at exercise bikes as being pointless but I'm using mine now and I have to say I was totally wrong before.  I work up a good sweat and am slowly shedding the pounds.  My sport now is powerlifting and I'm just waiting to be able to get back to that properly in about 4 months.

Carolyn suggested a personal trainer which would be a very good investment - even if only to point you in the right direction. Apart from avoiding high impact activities there shouldn't be any reason you can't get active and fit, even with a leg injury and age trying to pull you back.

good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you! I've really enjoyed the cycling challenge and keeping it up. Just wanted to progress further and do some classic running. Like your advice though and will be seeking help from a pro! Today my ankle is absolutely fine, no aches or stiffness. So unsure, may need more stretches for a warm down of something but going to seek advice! 

• Posted

Hi Abi,

i completed the c25k in June this year, I am 46 and need to lose a stone (or 2!).  I broke my fibular on 28th August but it was a stable fracture so no surgery needed, just 6 weeks in a cast then 2 in a boot.  I have an appointment on Monday for my 12 week check up and final X-ray, I am hoping I will be given the go ahead to start running again.  I can say from experience that running does put an incredible strain on your joints, I ached terribly for the first 5 weeks, I didn’t think I was built for running at all, but it does get better.  You are going to feel it even more having broken your tib and fib, even though it was over a year ago, I was told up to 18 months to regain full strength so you are doing well.  I am glad to hear your leg feels better, but do take it steady and listen to your body.  Well done on the cycling, that is a wonderful achievement, I don’t cycle but I walk my dog miles every day and my ankle aches terribly after a long hike, but it does resolve itself after a day or so.  Please do give the c25k a go, and remember that you can repeat runs and weeks as you need, it took me 11 weeks to complete mine.  Good luck to you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.