C5-C6 Spinal Cord Compression with Edema

Posted , 5 users are following.

At age 51, I have been diagnosed with C5-C6 Spinal Cord Compression with Edema. I have had intense stomach and back pain for 7 months, feeeling like an ELASTIC BAND is ripping me in HALF along with NERVE PAIN in my toes, feet, legs, and fingers, and affecting me going to the bathroom; I was diagnosed with Lumbar Spinal Stenosis and 2 Herniated Disks 10 years ago which I went to a concept therapy Chiropractor and Deep Tissue massage person who saved my LIFE; I am seeing an Othopedic surgeon for a 2nd opinion and the Neurosurgeon this week. I am SCARED as I have read that there is ONLY a 33-50% chance of SUCCESS and a REAL RISK of INJURY.

ANY ADVICE in Austin, TX

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Having spinal cord C5-C6 discescomy surgery on Nov 21, SCARED
  • Posted

Hi Jeff, I have a broadbased disc at c5-6 and am having some of the same symptoms as you. I have cord compression and it is also pinching the nerve.. moreso on the left. I have a lot of sharp pains here and there. I have tightness in my abdominal muscles.. decreased feeling as well. I too am set to have surgery but on November 20. I am scared as well but my doctor who is a pretty conservative neurosurgeon had said it was more risky to leave it as it was. Eleven years ago I had a fusion at c6-7 and I can honestly say that for these last 11 years I was able to enjoy my life and not be in constant pain. I'm sad I have to have surgery again but I can say that I've had it done before and it really was not that bad. Living with the pain prior to that was worse. Good luck with your surgery and please keep us posted.. maybe we can compare notes afterwords! smile

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your surgery soon and 11 years ago. I am happy your surgery went well before. Where do you live? What age? I am waiting for hospital approval for my Nov 21 surgery; I am 51 in Texas
    • Posted

I live in the Ann Arbor area and am 45. I did well with my first surgery. Unfortunately the last few years I believe I overdid things..lifting things I should have been..etc.. along with not keeping up with my strengthening. I believe the key is to keep up with neck strengthening that they give you with physical therapy.  
    • Posted

I figure after many years, lifting should not be an issue but upset it is; I used to go u windsor, across from detroit; do you have support/ husband/bf?
  • Posted

I am having my hernia disk C5-C6 surgery on Nov 21. My Neurosurgeon told me that he can perform a more minor procedure hopefully called disceswctomy; I havce been praying every day that I have a successful discesctomy sugery which will give me the shortest easiest safest recovery and healing of my nerve pain from my toes to my fingers as well as my stomach and back pain to live like a 51 year old man, and not like a man who feels 40 years older

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.