CA125 blood test results

Posted , 9 users are following.

my doctor phoned me today with my blood test results. She told me my my levels where raised. And to let me know this sometimes means ovarian cancer. I have a ultra scan in 6 days and have been referred to a gyacolgist to be seen in no more than 2 weeks. I am so worried. Please could anybody advise me. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

CA 125 results are by no means confirmation of anything. If you take a look at nhs website the result can be raised for a number of reasons including endometriosis, fibroids, pelvic inflammatory disease and even pregnancy. When they rush tests through its quite daunting I know but try not to panic too much. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi ca125 levels are hard ones as can just mean infection too please if it is don't feel. Alone I have a Facebook page with my story wombles small cell ovarian fight and awareness.When I was diagnosed I found an amazing group called ovarian cancer UKthe ladies on there have been so kind I'm sure you will be welcomed even if you don't know yet. They can give support xx
  • Posted

Hello lovely girl I understand your panic but Sue is right , it doesn't necessarily mean OC. I had a very large cyst 20cms in fact and my levels were raised and I was fine. Try to stay calm if you can, sending hugs (( )) x
  • Posted

Thank you so much to everyone that has replied. It is very reassuring. X
  • Posted

I second what everyone says about the levels. Mine was up to 325 and they said I had one complex cyst and one 'mass' on my fallopian tube. I panicked. It turned out to be PID infection in the tube, and the other cyst was just a simple one. I'd been referred to oncology and really thought the worst. But it was ok. I had antibiotics and the levels were back to normal on my next ca125 test a few weeks later. It's more likely to be raised for another reason. Try to stay calm, and attempt to distract yourself and not over think it until you know more. And DO NOT GOOGLE! ! I wish you the best x
    • Posted

Hi Mel ... Can you tell me how they figure it out it was an infection ? Beginning of Jan I had some kind of burning sensation in my pelvic or what I though was maybe UTI and went to do ultrasound that showed complex cyst and my blood for CA125 was 49 and I'm very worry sad did you had any symptoms ? Thank you ... glad to hear everything came out ok for you smile
  • Posted

Hi Linda i have now been emergency referred to hospital as my c125 is very raised should be between 5 and 35 mine is 93 got a lot of pelvic pain went doc tue got scan Sunday I can understand your worry it's hard not to hope all things go well for you
    • Posted

What did the scan reviled ? My is at 49 and friend of mine had elevated to a 3000 and it turned out to be just a cyst and nothing else in her case . I still have to have one more ultrasound but my first ultra sound reviled complex cyst ... very worry sad wishing all you girl well smile
    • Posted

Well scan is at 9 in the morning Iv had cysts befor which I was very poorly with in hospital for a wk which was a yr half ago had op last March key hole surgeon said was very hard op of happens again would have 2 have hyst
    • Posted

Every time I've had cyst's I've been in agonymy ca125 at diagnosis was 189 they are monitoring mine now to see where my normal is as. Not everyone es normal is 35 mines over 40/now but I'm now in remission and have no ovaries left as last one removed in December hope it all goes OK don't be fobbed of if your hurting ..cysts are not normal xx
  • Posted

I had a lot of pelvic pain now had scan def cysts don't know what sort when I last had surgery he said my op was very hard to do if they come back will have to have  hysterectomy 
  • Posted

This has just happened to me I initially went to the gp due to sudden abdominal pain and soft stools because of my age 57 I requested blood tests, never thinking it would come back slightly raised freaked me out and I already suffer from anxiety go said he didn't think it was any thing to worry about but he will know I suffer from anxiety as its on the computer screen he wants a repeat blood test in two wks and referring me for ultra sound, I like you are worried sick my anxiety is at an all time high! What were your symptoms if you don't mind me asking 
    • Posted

I have had my scan. They did not find anything which was a relief. My symptoms are lower back and stomach pain. Pelivic pain. Seeing the gynaecologist on Tuesday. All the best x
  • Posted

I had a CA-125 level of 1551 - from what I found out online it sounded like it had to be ovarian cancer. The first gynecologic oncologist I went to said it was quite rare to see it that elevated in benign conditions but I got a second opinion from another gynecologic oncologist at a more prestigious hospital in Boston, MA. The second doctor said that he has seen elevated CA 125 levels for a multitude of benign conditions and was much more reassuring. I ended up having multiple benign cystic adenomas arriving from the peritoneum, uterus and sigmoid colon. The peritoneum and ovaries are made up of the same type of epithelial cell which perhaps can explain why the CA 125 protein was so high in my case. My cysts engulfed a space approximately 20cmx30cmx40cm, approximately 25 lbs.   The only definite way to confirm what a mass is, is by biopsy. I had a laparotomy with debulking procedure - so they went in to my abdomen via a 10 inch incision and removed all of the masses whole and sent them for biopsy. 

I was lucky but I spent 2 months prior to my surgery thinking that I was going to die of ovarian cancer. I hope this helps anyone who has an elevated CA 125 level and assumes the worst. I sincerely hope everything turns out well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.