CA125 Levels - worries

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, for the last 12 months I have had a couple of blood tests which have shown that my CA levels are slightly elevated. I believe the norm is 35 but mine have been around 42 and now risen again to 46. I know that this is still considerably low as doctor said if it was cancer it would be in the hundreds, but i have read that they dont have to be really high for that diagnosis.

I have been having a lot of period type pains. Also like a sore/irritation feeling higher up in the cervix. i dont know whether it could be anything to do with peri/menopause but i am nearly 51, having fairly regular periods, in fact recently 3 in the space of 5 weeks!

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated 😃

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If your doctor was concerned he/she would probably be ordering a transvaginal ultrasound as well. Ca levels are also notoriously unreliable on their own and depend on when the sample is taken. I wonder if the 42 reading was taken when you were not menstruating and the higher one taken when you were.

Did your doctor do a vaginal examination? Did you mention the sore feeling?

Please dont worry about the Ca125 result. You havent mentioned any of the more worrying signs of Ovarian cancer, but obviously if you are really worried go back to your doctor.

• Posted

thanks Marina 😃 she dis examine me yes, said uterus looked fine but there was a tender spot which she said was located right next to my bowel! funny how you mentioned that as i have a feeling i was on a period or just finished around the time. i told her about the irritation/soreness but couldnt see anything?

She is waiting for Gynae advice to see whether they want me to have a scan. will post if anything further happens

Thank you for your comments 😃 x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.