Cadaver Bone

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had experiences or heard stories about the use of cadaver bone for spinal implants? I'll be having an ACDF soon, but due to my metal allergies I either have a choice of cadaver bone which will increase the hard collar recovery to 3 months if the neurosurgeon can't find tantalum (which I still have to get tested for, but no tests in my local hospitals can test for tantalum allergy). I heard a lot about cadaver bone not fusing and rates of transmission of diseases where some people developed head and neck cancer etc. Is it really safe?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am a physician, I had a neck hernia resection and cadaver bone 3 years ago  with no problems.... I had a lumbar 3-4 fusion and bone graft Dec 2016 and within a week I developed a severe allergic reaction that continues, apparently from the bone graft, no other explanations appear valid...  I have deferred metal implants..  my allergy is likely to continue for 2-5 yrs...

I would suggest that you have a skin or RASP test for allergy to nickel before proceeding with surgery.... it is very unlikely you will have an allergic reaction but there are no guarantees

• Posted

A allergic reaction from a bone graft? I thought they tested those things..that is really unfortunate to hear. What symptoms are you having? Did you proceed with having it removed? I hope you get better soon.

Yes I was tested positive for nickel allergy via patch testing. Although people say it's not a reliable test method compared to a blood test like the MELISA. Some articles even argue that metal sensitivity doesn't mean that you'll get an allergic reaction from an implant either but better being safe than sorry I suppose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.