Caffeine and alcohol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I was sent a table of 104 treatments for fibromyalgia, and highest on the table for effectiveness was low dose naltrexone which there have been other posts about on here recently. However I was interested to see that marijuana, avoidance of alcohol, and limiting caffeine also featured as moderately effective. What experience have you had with these? Also noticed gluten free diet mentioned. Any thoughts on that? Gentle hugs to everyone. xx

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i am so hoping that ldn will get the research to be passed for use with 

fibro . but i am  not hopefull .

if i keep my benefit i shall try and get it on line thru a private perscription 

• Posted

Hi jeanne.thats very interesting.as 4 years ago when my symtoms started i developed an intolerance to alcohol.thought it was just me!

Will also try to cut back on caffeine.

Thanx. Beth.x

• Posted

i am excatly the same couldnt do achol for years i can just manage a little now like one scotch and coke or half a bottle of light ale .

but i find caffeine my god when iv had several weeks of fatigue i down a bottle of pepsi 500mls and i get a buzz that lasts a couple of days .

i often wonder if i took those pro plus during the fatigue weeks if they would get me going the thing is you cant get any advice from gp on this sort of thing ,and i know these pro plus can cause heart problems 

but i hate being so tired and feeling like crap 

• Posted

I can no longer tolerate alcohol at all, strange as in my late teens and early twenties I could drink most grown men under the table. The very few times I have tried in the last 6 years makes me so ill i just have a no drink policy now.

I cut out caffeine for months and had no improvement in anything so didnt work for me, however I also started drinking ALOT of tea daily prior to not feeling great so perhaps that helped kick the issues off. 

You can get a private presecription for LDN and its not stupidly expensive however it has not had much more than a small study to justify the fact that its good for fibro so I would be cautious. The science behind it makes some sense although that is put like "It is thought to work by" I think it has been used more widely and for longer periods of time by some people with MS, i read an interview online with one woman who said that combined with healthy living sent her MS into remission.

• Posted

you can get it ldn on private prescription i know but you need your gp to write a letter to confirm diognoses which she wouldnt do 

she just gave me a print of with my diognoses on it. 

so i dont know if thats enough  .its ldn safty record that i like 

and that you start of on such a small dose  

• Posted

Hi Jeanne,

I really should cut down on my coffee intake and trying really hard and as a result I'm down to half the amount I was drinking,

I read on here about gluten free and decided to try it,

I'm amazed what a difference it's made in only 5 weeks, I have read it can take 6 months to benefit from being gluten free but if I keep feeling the way I do now id be very happy,

My pain has reduced by approximately half in my joints,

My IBS is less painful and my tummy is not swelling up and looking distorted like it was, I'm going to the toilet every day instead of once every 10 days if I was lucky,

My upper thighs look smother in texture and I've lost 5lbs although I'm not over weight every little bit of weight loss helps your mobility,

I'm defiantly sticking to it although it's very expensive to buy,

I really like the B free wraps but don't like the gluten free Mayo so I use soya natural yogurt with almonds it's really tasty with lettuce peppers and chicken breast for a working lunch,

I also started taking magnesium tablets daily, and if the pain gets worse I use the magnisium spray oil to rub in and find it very effective instead of pain killers that make me like a zombie

Alcohol deffinatly don't agree with my pain I've never been a big drinker one or two glasses of wine on a birthday or celebration but I noticed this sets me back for a few weeks so I decided to give it a miss

Hope this helps with your search we are all different but pain makes you try most things

Gentle hugs Leona

• Posted

Hi Leona, it's really good that the gluten free diet seems to be helping you. I don't find alcohol (or not) makes any difference to me, and certainly haven't seen enough evidence that cutting out my 3-4 cups of coffee a day would make any difference either. Maybe I'll give the marijuana a try!! 😊 x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.