Caffeine and increased migraines

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have just retired and I have had more migraines in the last two weeks than ever before. I am prescribed Candesartan which has been a godsend but I also need to take triptans orally or subcut. I thought it may be due to the effects of stopping work ( no stress etc) but I have also stopped caffeine for 2 weeks and I wondered if anyone has had similar issues.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you suddenly stop drinking coffee or tea, then this will cause migraines.  Try to reduce more gradually and this should make a difference.

Good luck and best wishes

take care

• Posted

Thanks for the reply - I didn't make the connection until today with the 3rd migraine this week. Caffeine causes vasoconstriction of the cranial blood vessels which is also what the triptans do. I am hoping this is the answer

• Posted

Yes.......my husband does not get migraines and drinks coffee.  When we went to our friends for a visit they poured us coffee each morning.  He started to get headaches during our visit so time with friends were not enjoyable for him until we found out they were serving decaf coffee.  As soon as he started regular coffee.....headaches went away!  Yes, the key is slowly ween off coffee gradually .

i wish you the best.  I get migraines and take Rizatriptan on the onset of headache.  I also get sinus headaches eye and head pain...so when I get headache and take Rizatriptan and doesn't take away headache I then know it is a sinus headache and do Flonase and take a antihistamine which takes away the headache.....just recently found that out with help from my doctor.

hope this helps.

Best,

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy - thanks for the info. I drink quite a lot of tea in my working week and started to then drink decaf at home to be healthier - I got a few more headaches than usual but thought nothing of it as I was busy sorting my busy caseload out before retiring and thought I was stressed. I finished a week ago and have only drunk decaf. I thought it might be due to the wind down but I am convinced it's the lack of caffeine. After trying every drug on the market I am really really pleased with Candesartan - complete given me my life back

Regards Sharon

• Posted

Hi Sharon

how often do you take the Candesartan and how many mg?  Some take meds every day and others like me just take Rizatriptan on the onset of migraine.  I hope "slowly" going down on the caffeine will take away your headaches!

have a great day.

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy - after seeing a Neurologist he suggested  Candesartan at 8mg daily. It is unlicensed. The migraines were making my life miserable and I was injecting or taking oral triptans 3-4 times a week and sometimes more. I completely stopped getting migraines on the medication for a while. I now get one every 3-4 months and alcohol is usually the trigger ! I did stop drinking for years. I have not had a headache for two days and I am drinking caffeinated tea/coffee

regards

sharon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.