caffeine and urination

Posted , 4 users are following.

They say that drinking coffee and tea can cause increased urine production, is there a way to actually measure this?  

Like say you drank 2 litres of tea would you void exactly 2 litres or more at some point?  Would you total urine output for the day be increased?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I understand that caffeine can irritate the bladder, causing you to want to urinate more frequently, therefore impacting continence control

• Posted

I have been to the doctor now like three times and each time my urine sample comes back negative so there's nothing more to be done as he says my symptoms are too mild and vague.

So what looking back is figured out what this is... I'm having bouts of frequent urination not frequent urination itself as it only happens on some days then not on others. So I'll have three or more days maybe where I'm totally fine, normal urination etc. then suddenly I'll have this bout where I'll go a few times in succession. During this time my pee is clear, almost white colour but what's bothering me is where this extra urine is coming from. I haven't changed my diet or fluid intake. For example last few days I've been totally fine, even slept fine without going but then last night I had a large cup of non caffeine tea, emptied my bladder maybe 40 mins later but then couldn't get to sleep because I was having that sensation like I needed to go again and did go and voided like a fairly decent amount with that clear almost white colour. Where did this come from if I had just voided a short while ago? Still no pain or burning or anything severe before or after peeing.

Then the next day I'm fine again.

The doctor has no idea about this. It's not high blood sugar as I checked my bs during one of these bouts and it was normal. It's not the mirtazapine / remeron as this is not a known side effect. And like I said no infection or uti as urinalysis is always negative. Doctor didn't mention prostate issues, firstly due to my age and secondly because I'm not having any prostate symptoms.

It may seem obsessive but then it is just worrying because I've never had this before and occasionally affecting my sleep now too. So have no idea what to do apart from requesting an urologist appointment. God knows how long that will take.

• Posted

your symptoms match mine to the Letter. I'm use to drinking alot of water. and would go maybe 8 times a day. which is normal. Then all of a sudden im going 14 + times a day. I drink a lot of coffee as well. It seems to go away when I dont drink anything that would trigger the urge to go i.e coffee, tea, soda, alcohol. Ive been worried because my father had prostate cancer at a young age. (mid 50's) his first symptom was frequent urination. (But he hardly ever drank water). I would find a different Doctor and get a second opinion. Demand a blood test to have your psa levels checked. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.