Caffeine causes panic attacks

Posted , 10 users are following.

I used caffeine excessively, overdosed on guarana, vig, coffee, to make myself function with energy at work. Problem was I had panic attacks as a result. I am no longer going to drink any coffee! Does anyone else have stories about caffeine?

BTW I am posting from Australia at 7:21 in the morning :-)

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I drank 3 monsters a day for years. Recently in october i had my first panic attack caused from caffeine overdose. I quit caffeine and havent had any since. But i can not seem to kick this anxiety
  • Posted

Caffeine defentially gives me anxiety for sure!! So I only have it when I know I'm having a good day. But..... 4 years ago I was drinking so much to keep me awake in the day but the reason for that was it was my thyroid and low iron. Soo I would go get that checked out just in case . But I would slow down in it for sure or just stop smile

Good luck smile

• Posted

U must be on the west ?

Yep caffeine I had to come off I drink a small amount but weak and milky

for ages I was caffeine free but never felt well

got to be careful with meds that have caffeine in

Saw my son have horrible panic attacks when he had caffeine it is after all a very powerful drug

• Posted

Caffiene in high and frequent doses is one evil drug. And the daft thing is the are no warning on these things either.
  • Posted

I'm a former amphetamine addict, so coffe has the weird affect of relaxing me. I even get to sleep on it. I would suggest though, that reducing it to tea might help. I knew someone who had the same problem as you, but when she gave it up she got worse. It MAY, saying just may, have been caused by the sudden withdrawal, which can also create enough stress to defeat the objective of giving up. Two things have definitely helped me with withdrawal from stimulants, natural grated ginger, boiled and strained with lemon and honey for tea, and Ginseng supplements.  They've helped me, but always expect a period of discomfort, after withdrawal from anything. Generally, the discomfort passes,then the mind and body gets used to it.
  • Posted

Caffeine makes my anxiety really bad. I now drink green tea. I found a flavour i liked and started drinking that instead.
  • Posted

I avoid caffeine purely because it's known to cause anxiety and panic attacks! I get increased anxiety the day after alcohol too.
  • Posted

Caffeine also raises cortisol levels so too much cortisol triggers the panic attack. There are other alternatives to boosting energy rather than coffee. Here are several:

- B-complex with insisting in it. The Bs will boost your energy while inositol, a B derivative, reduces panic attacks

- arginine/glutamine supplement. These can be taken booth at the same time or separate. Arginine boosts your nitric oxide and so gives energy. Glitamine is food for the muscle and takes away brain fog and lifts mood.

- Whey Protein shake throughout the day is another awesome way to boost protein and energy.

If you must have caffeine, then Green Tea Extract is a better alternative because it has Theanine in it which acts as calming agent so you won't have panic. Some folks also experience sleepiness with the Extract along with aggression so test before using.

Good luck

• Posted

The same thing happened to me. I had a 200 mg caffeine pill, mountain dew kickstart, and then another caffeine pill the next day. The thing is, I just kept feeding myself caffeine and I didn't know that I was overdoing it..... At all. I don't drink water like ever.... And I was sitting with caffeine in my system. So come Thursday night at work, I had my first and prayerfully last anxiety attack. I had no idea how to fight it or what was really going on so that just made it worse. I was a mess. Thankfully my parents and God calmed me down and I was able to finish my shift. It's funny I didn't know I struggled with anxiety until I began fasting from social media (my drug)

• Posted

Hi cassmac!!

I had a similar experience! I used to drink coffee and espresso on a daily basis, and then all of the sudden I had to stop last year. It was giving me massive panic attacks, which was not helping with work or school. I cut out caffeine, and now drink decaf if I'm grabbing coffee with someone. It sucks, and you have to watch the caffeine content in things, but it's doable. smile Probably healthier too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.