Calcific Tendonitis advice

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I've had pain for the past 6 weeks in my upper arm and thought I had initially slept funny on it or overdone it at work. Wen to the doctors this week who completed physical examination and then referred me for an ultrasound for further investigation. 24 hours later, I'm in A&E as I no longer have full movement of my right arm.

X-ray shows calcific tendonitis. Ultrasound for more detail won't be for 8 weeks and physio is in 2 weeks time. I have been given a couple of days supply of Naproxen and already have codeine at home for the pain.

Has anyone had this/have got it? Is there anything I should be doing to help myself?

I can sit at a computer and type but that's about it- unless I want to be screaming in agony. I can't shower, dress or eat with that arm. I am unable to drive also. I have arranged for someone to give me a lift into work as I don't want to take time off. Doctor has not given me any information and said it can be a long process!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Donna,

I am sorry for what you are going through. I went through something similar, I got tired of waiting. I grabed a copy of my x-rays, ultrasounds and written report ans saw an Orthopedic/surgeon for arm/shoulder and within two days I was having an MRI with contrast. FINDINGS was similar to yours but also showed frozen shoulder/torn rotator cuff tendons. This explained all the pain, not being able to raise my arm, get dress etc... withing 2 weeks I WAS HAVING SURGERY. 2 weeks in a sling, PT at home,,yes was painful but nothing to WHAT I WAS ENDURING.

My suggestion is please go see a ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON. Some insurance you do not need a refrell.

TAKE CARE

ANA

• Posted

So sorry to hear you are suffering.

I've had bad shoulders(both) for four years now, I've had xrays, ultrasound and MRI. I have same as you , also severe osteoarthritis, rotator cuff tears and cystic lesions. I saw a shoulder surgeon but he said he wouldn't operate (didn't think to ask why not) and instead said steroid injections. I had one the following week and another a week later. And zilch I'm still the same, pain constantly, physio didn't help me and now the osteoarthritis has gone to my neck too.

I hope you get the help you need.

• Posted

Thanks guys.

I managed to speak to my doctor and get more information. I've been given more pain mediation and told to take it easy...I am still going to work! I have to wait until I have seen the physio and from there, they will decide if I am going to have steroid injections. I don't think surgery is an option until other methods have been checked off. At the moment, I'm just interested in being able to move around in a "normal" way, I can live with some pain but not being able to wash or dress etc is beginning to get me down already...and it's only been a couple of days!

• Posted

I am so sorry you are in this type of pain! I am one year into a journey that started almost identically to yours. Calcific tendonitis is a very painful condition that can sometimes lead to frozen shoulder. There are options for dealing with this ranging from time to surgery...but I would definitely advise contacting your Physical Therapist and asking if there are any passive range of motion exercises that you could do during the two week time to see them. They may recommend pendulums (you bend at waist level with your arm hanging down straight...you then gently rock your body to cause the arm to move in circles to the right x 1 minute, to the left for one minute and slant right x 1 min and slant left x 1 minute. The purpose of this exercise is to maintain as much range of motion as possible since frozen shoulder is NOT were you want to be. An orthopedist should also be able to offer you a steroid injection into the joint that would help immediately relieve much of your pain. PT will be important no matter what your end diagnoses is.

For me personally, I have had two shoulder surgeries...right and left...after exhausting all other options. It has been a long road, and I am still recovering as the damage was significant. Hang in there - for me I am so grateful to have had an excellent surgeon who was able to remove the calcium and repair the rotator cuffs and labrum/bicep tendon. I also had the best pain relief by using a combination of ibuprofen/tylenol...around the clock. Just make sure you don't exceed daily maximum doses. Wish you speedy healing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.