Calcific tendonitis and secondary frozen shoulder

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with calcific tendonitis with ossifying calcification in mid-December 2017. The inflammation flared up several times and resulted in the end in a moderate secondary frozen shoulder.

I've had surgery to remove the calcium and the bursa. The surgeon also performed a capsular release. This was on 20 March. I was in hospital for 3 days, told to wear a sling for 4 weeks, to do only very specific passive movements for the first 2 weeks and to see a physiotherapist from then on.

The shoulder got really stiff from wearing the arm in a sling and the movements were too restricted to keep it flexible.

I've started physiotherapy this week. I can do the exercises but have to go against resistance, especially in the area of the capsule at the front - as if it was still frozen.

Is there anyone out there who has had a similar experience?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have casified tendonitis as well

The calcium buildup in my shoulder grew 20 x the size it used to be in 3 years time

I had the frozen shoulder symptoms for 12 weeks ... was told to wear a sling till i was able to move it again.. then I was told if I don’t leave the sling off I’ll never get better and could do further lasting damage

Oh the pain 24-7!  Like no other pain sad

About 5 days no sling my shoulder started to feel a tiny bit better every day

I had no surgery but it could go at any time again.. for no reason

I hope you feel better soon

If I get a flare up again I will get surgery ASAP 

Good luck!!

• Posted

I'm sorry you are hurting. I know that's an understatement. Has your doctor suggested icing your shoulder? Ice was really wonderful to reduce pain when my shoulder was frozen. I used it at night to stop the deep sometimes aching, sometimes throbbing, sometimes searing pain. I hope you find relief soon. Never give up. You WILL get better.

-Christine

• Posted

Thanks, Christine.

I'm using ice packs to manage the pain, and heat packs and hot baths to warm up the shoulder and relax the muscles before exercising.

My physiotherapist thought it was frozen shoulder minus the capsular release. My orthopedist said frozen shoulder would not usually recur so shortly after surgery, and that stiffness after surgery was common.

I don't know what to think anymore ... .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.