Calcitonin

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone. Has anyone heard of, or had experience of this. Not even sure if I have spelt it correctly. I have heard it is used to treat steroid induced osteoporosis and is a nasal spray. It also builds bone mass in the spine, but not in the hips. Another mystery to me. Also, is it new, or has it been available for a while? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The Wikipedia article is quite interesting.  Appears to have been first described in 1962 so it's been around for a while.  It's also called thyrocalcitonin.

• Posted

It seems to have a few other names. I just wondered if it would be something that might be benificial to our members who have digestive problems
  • Posted

I have used it,Allison.

But not the spray,injections in the belly.

It did zero effect on me.

It was expensive here in Bulgaria and later they told me it causes cancer.

• Posted

I know it can be given by injection but I havent seen anything saying it causes cancer. Interesting though.

• Posted

Articles here say it's forbidden in Canada.

Yes it has various names.

Miacalcik is one of them.

I had gut problems regardless.

• Posted

That's interesting.  I found this on the osteoporosis canada website - The Potential Cancer Risk with Long-Term Use of Calcitonin-containing Drugs

In 2012, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) reviewed the benefits and risks of taking this medication and noted that a small increased risk of cancer has been seen with long term use of calcitonin. In July 2013, Health Canada decided to withdraw all nasal spray calcitonin products from the market following a review of the safety and effectiveness data for synthetic calcitonin.  Calcitonin does not have a very potent anti-osteoporosis effect, and does not decrease the risk of hip or nonspine fractures. For this reason, Osteoporosis Canada has previously advised that it not be used as a first line treatment for osteoporosis. People taking nasal calcitonin for osteoporosis should speak to their physician regarding a  switch to an alternative product. 

• Posted

This is one of the great advantages of having people from all over the world contributing to this forum. That was very helpful. Thanks.
    • Posted

Thanks for your input. The info I found, said it had few side effects, but we are all different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.