Calcium intake

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this site. 2 years ago i was diagnosed with osteopenia and not given any medication. I have had another scan and am now in full osteoparosis. My GP said i had a lot of bone loss for my age (just 60) and it was probably due to starting the menopause at 42 and having last period at 49. I am on Fultium capsules and a Alendronic Acid 70mg tablet once a week. I have been told to get 1000mg calcium through food and drink a day. This is a lot of milk and cheese and i am worried about what this can cause eg cholestral. I know i can get calcium in other foods like sardines, brocolli etc but i am only 8st 6lbs and 5'5" and dont eat that much. If i have around 2 pints of semi skimmed milk a day i wont wont any food. Does anyone else have this problem - any help/ideas please. ps/ i have made an appt for the GP again in April to try and find out how bad this is - i have seen others on this site using a T score

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jane

​I had exactly the same problem ..... I hadpractically doubled my intake of food and always felt full  (probably a good thing!?) to try and get my quote in

​Now I have 30 gm of Readybrek with 150 ml of skimmed milk for breakfast.  As this cereal is fortified with calcium and vitamins, it gives me everything I need and then I eat as I normally would throughout the day.

• Posted

Hi Libsan, thank you so much for your reply. I was feeling really low about all this. That is really easy then to have readybrek and i suppose i could have it with semi skimmed mik instead. I dont feel so isolated now i have found this web site/forum.
  • Posted

Remember it's not just calcium you need.  You get traces of calcium in a lot of foods, not dairy, but you didn't say you'd been told to take Vitamin D3.  Another must have nutrient is Vitamin K2 (not K1 which you'll be getting from your leafy greens) and sufficient magnesium.  Vitamin K2 and magnesium are what make sure calcium gets into the bones, Vitamin D can't do that.  I'm not on any bone meds but I did, through diet, supplements and appropriate exercise improve my t-score from -2 to -1.6 in one year.  I weigh just over 100 lb, can't be bothered to do the math to translate that into stone.  But it isn't much.

Remember you can get calcium from yoghurt and kefir as well, which because they are fermented foods are healthier than plain liquid milk.

• Posted

wish for an edit button not "just" dairy!

• Posted

I am taking vitamin D3 which is the Fultium i mentioned - 20 microgrames a day. I am going to start on Alpro soya yogurts as well and will buy the ready brek that Ibsan has for breackfast. Thank you for your reply.
    • Posted

Okay, that's good.  That's the problem with brand names - they don't always translate into anything meaningful in other countries. confused  

• Posted

Hi I found it difficult to have eneough calcium . I found I can boost intake by having Greek yoghurt with fruit and kefir which is quite difficult to find I get mine from polish shop but has been shown to rebuild bone and more effective than plain yoghurt. Do you not have T score ? 
    • Posted

Hi I didn't know there was a score on osteoporosis and was quite shocked when doctor told me that I didn't ask any questions. I have a Dr's appt at end of month to ask my questions

• Posted

Hi Jane, I don't think I can help you as I rejected the Alendronic Acid when I was told I had osteoporosis in my spine. I use supplements like magnesium, zinc, K2 calcium and D3 tablets along with exercise and soya isoflavones, in the hope, this will slow down the bone loss.  But I can tell you that when they gave me the prescription for alendronic acid they also gave me a prescription for calcichews with vitamin D3 in them, they work together with the alendronic acid I am led to believe.

• Posted

I think the reason for the calcium and D3 is because AA can't work properly if you are low in calcium.  It makes sense to get enough micronutrients anyway, AA or not.  They seem to be prescribed to most PMR patients in the UK, whether or not they are on any OP drugs.

• Posted

You said, "If i have around 2 pints of semi skimmed milk a day i wont wont any food."?

• Posted

I thought that was what you meant...sounds like you're a light-weight. It seems like a lot of us who have osteoporosis are. I feel like I eat, and eat, and eat, but stay the same weight. I understand your concern about the cholesterol too. I found an organic plant calcium supplement that is food-based, so think I might be avoiding that issue. However, I am doing the Forteo injections for OP, and after being on it about a year the doctor sent me for a blood test to check calcium level and it was high. He did one early on (a month after I started the injections) as well but it came back normal..just something else you might want to be aware of and ask your doctor about. I'm not real familiar with the drug they have started you on, but IF it can affect your calcium levels I think I would ask your doctor to do a calcium check more often than I was treated by my doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.