Calcium Pill (Yes or No)

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mom has recently seen a rheumatologist (Joint Doctor) after a blood test. My mom's blood work shows her calcium is fine (in range) and no pill or supplement is needed. But a couple of weeks later, we went to see her GP. She said that it's still okay for someone to take a Calcium pill or supplement.

ATONEL was the pill she recommended. My mom hasn't taken it yet because we need to see GP again this coming Tuesday. It doesn't add up to me, why do you need to take a calcium pill if calcium is all right?

Also, I got a lot mixed reviews on ACTONEL.

Please help, thanks!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It all depends on why she is seeing a rheumatologist. If she has osteoporosis then there should be no question about the need to take calcium. If she is taking steroids then she also needs to take calcium. I have a severe case of osteo and I took calcium the entire time I was on steroids. All the doctor went.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Not taking steroids, we're new to this. The issues are with my mother, but both of us are relatively new to this. Currently, she's not taking anything for her potential osteoporosis. She's getting pounding headaches on the back of her head, and she's having trouble walking, especially when walking too much or needed.

Also saw mixed reviews on ACTONEL.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.