Calcium Supplements

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I have just been shown an article in the Telegraph where taking calcium supplements is linked to cancer!

I hve recently been diagnosed with OP and take 2 Avacal tabs a day, this has worried me now!!

Anyone else read this report?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No. I have not read the report. However, you can check your calcium levels in your blood tests to see if you even need a top up.

You might not need any if you get your daily requirement in your food.

Vitamin K 2 is good to have as it aims the calcium onto your bones.

You can check your vitamin D3 levels in your blood tests as well. Magnesium is another important one.

All the best.

• Posted

I didn't see the original report, but have just looked on Google and links are shown. I tried copying them to here, but they wouldn't open. If you put into Google Calcium supplements and cancer link, links appear.

On the other hand, too much Ca is associated with calcified arterial plaque and kidney stones.

May I suggest you look closely at your present diet and try to estimate your Ca intake from diet. The RDA for Ca is 1000mg to 1200mg in total per day. If you are already eating a healthy, balanced diet, including dairy, you may already be getting sufficient and not need Ca supplements.

Did you have a vitamin D blood test taken? if so what was the result? Sometimes combined Ca/D3 supplements don't contain sufficient D3 to correct a deficiency.

I agree with Kathleen's comments about vit K2 and Mg!

The book; Vitamin k2 and the Calcium Paradox by Kate Rheaume Bleue explains all about this.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 14 years ago and took calcium but got kidney stones. I now don't take calcium. I haven't heard about the cancer link.

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies! I did have blood tests done which came back with No Further Action...so I have booked a phone app with my doctor to ask

Have I got a calcium deficiency, if not why take the tablets and also tell him of my fears regard the report

Also to ask him about the K2.. he told me last time we spoke I am sensible and he knows I research about things as I have anxiety problems.

• Posted

Don't be surprised if he doesn't know much if anything about Vitamin K2. My daughter who is a registered dietitian had never heard of it until I told her about it. And doctors get very little nutrition information. A lot of research has not distinguished between K1 and K2 in regards to bones, but some Japanese doctors are not afraid to say that natto (the source of K2 supplements) is a super food!

• Posted

I share sympathy for what happened to you now.

looking for the best calcium supplements is very important and you must be careful about fake products, so I advise you to look at the product reviews you want to buy first, and make sure you buy the original.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.