Calf pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had 2 TKR the second one in Jan 2016 and l recovered well, now pain free when mobile so decided to start exercising in the local gym daily for the last 2 weeks. 

After yesterday's exercises l developed calf pain but it's not acute pain and doesn't affect mobility but worried about continuing  the exercises which l'm enjoying. 

Advise please x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I consider yo ur body's way of telling you to slow down. After my TKR, I've had to have a heart valve replaces. Another major surgery. Tomorrow will be 8 weeks post surgery and I've been in cardio rehab for 2 weeks. I'm tired. I noticed my knee is a little tight but does not hurt.

Check your potassium and other vitamins. Record your workout, and go slow. Warm up slowly, if you don't already and stretch afterwards. Cut work outs at the gym to 3 days a week and walk the other days.

If still on pain, see a doctor.

• Posted

I agree with Sue. Cut it down to 3 times a week. Or even every other day. I go every other day.....knee feels tight, but icing afterwards is helpful. Your muscles will adjust to the new routine. 
  • Posted

You're using new muscles and consequently a new pain has evolved. Like any other exercise, you have to start small and work to get big and that means every bit of your body has to be tuned. Just because the knee is in shape doesn't mean the rest of the body happens to be.

Go slow, hydrate really well and ice down afterwarda

• Posted

Hi Melodi, Just confirming - your last tkr was Jan 2016?  If so, possibly you just need a slow down for exercising, but I think - Jan 2016 you should be pretty right to continue.  Maybe just do slightly less sessions for the next day or 2, see how that goes.  You should be pretty right though.  Maybe it's been a while that you hadn't been exercising and it should just strengthen up with this.

Hi Melodi, your 2nd tkr  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.