Calf pain/numbness & now shoulder pain/numbness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I am a 25 year old female. Last summer I fell down the stairs and came on my back and my 2 legs which caused serious pain both my back and legs. Bruises came out and pain faded away with time.

About 4 weeks ago I started the gym... I work full-time on a desk and I was going straight to the gym and start my 15 min treadmill & my ab workouts (machines). After 2 weeks I've noticed a pain in my right calf. Survive pain its like numb feeling and twitching, went to the doctor because I thought it was a serious case something like a blood clot. The doctor was sure it was not the case and he told me it's a muscle/ nerve injury.

About a week later the pain/ numbness was still there and decided to go to a physiotherapist. I told her my symptoms and also told her that I was on my 6 years of pill and I don't smoke. She checked me and she also was sure it was not a blood clot. She told me it was coming from my back and is going through my legs as I was not warming up before the gym and I was staying in a bad posture. She also gave me some exercises and felt better straight after.

That week I felt much better and last Friday we decided to go out for the weekend so I put on some heels which is when I experienced the pain again. The pain on the right leg was quite painful and I was very worried / did not eat as I was really anxious ... When we arrived home I removed my heels and did my exercises which is when my leg started to heal. I also experienced some pain on the left leg but very light. Before I went to sleep I had a slight pain on my shoulder but went to sleep as I was feeling really tired. When I woke up my shoulder became a bit worse and I have a survive pain on my left shoulder/arm.

Can someone please help me? I'm sick and tired worrying about this.. so many thoughts. Thanks! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The symptology you described does not correlate with any serious Diagnosis.  A picture of your calf/leg (with both in frame) would help -- But I'm only looking to verify with absolute  certainty lack of DVT there.  

Bottom line if that leg isn't noticeably red compared to other leg, a bit (or a lot) swollen,.. and these things are there 24/7 -- Then there isn't a DVT.

• Posted

Hi Ikoslog! thank you so much for replying! I never noticed any swollen and red leg just leg cramps and numbness it's like someone is pushing my leg. (cant take a photo right now as Im at work smile ) The thing which is worrying me a lot is that the pain in my calves are much better now but I have a burning sensation/numbness in my right arm (bicep). Thanks again! 

• Posted

Ok  -- no picture needed then.

You don't have a Clot based on that information alone.

The pain if it burns, tingles, goes numb etc -- Is alawys nerve related.  It's a nerve being compressed and/or irritated.  Now where the root of that is -- is part of the battle sometimes.  It can be back, it can be closer to Sx.  Usually it is the spine though.

Your arm is similar to leg -- if so,.. would be a cervical (neck) nerve impingement -- perhaps from herniated disc, .. bulging disc, or similar. (Very common).  It can also NOT be the spine.. and just muscles irritating/compressing the nerves (this would be treated with rehab and proper massage from a proffesional) -- Chiropractic care from a GOOD Chiro would probably help quite a bit as well.

What isn't so normal is such problems at age 25.  I had full Chronic pain at age 25 (I'm 38 now) -- But I have some auto immune issue and was in a horrific car accident at 21.  

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to get an MRI or two -- but they are expensive even with good insurance (Copay is generally 300-400$ ish) though they are VERY worth it.  1) To establish a baseline even if nothing significant is found.. and obviously 2) To find out where problems exist.

Now - you probably don't (and should NOT) have surgery in mind -- so an MRI isn't going to fix anything either, so unless you are after 'evidence' to obtain narcotics then there's a good argument to not bother with them at this point in your life. 

Bottom line though -- Help for all of your reported issues will be partial self limiting and multi faceted non 'medication' dervied treatment.  IE: Physio, Rehab, Chiro, diet, supplementation, that are all more powerful and synergetic as a group rather than done individually/alone.

Last thing -- Stop worrying.  First it serves no purpose - but I know that's tough, but you've nothing to worry about, honestly.  

Take care,

• Posted

Thanks sooo much for your help!! really appreciate it!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.