Calling all hypochondriacs! Help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys..I'm a HUGE hypochondriac, though I feel as if I am a very healthy person. I eat healthy and exercise 4-6 times a week. My family history is good, and the only "health issue" I've truly had was a slightly elevated thyroid hormone. Yet I AM ALWAYS SELF DIAGNOSING MYSELF WITH SOMETHING. Does anyone else feel like this? The tiniest thing and I think the absolute worst. My family and boyfriend are great at being supportive but I know they get annoyed. Them being annoyed  makes me feel so bad and makes me more angry at myself because deep down I know I am fine (hopefully) and it only makes my anxiety ten times worse. I wish I could make myself stop googling every little thing! Please tell me I'm not the only one.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think you would be best in getting "books on prescription" ( if you're in the UK ), you can get Coginitive Behaviour Therapy too from your GP that will help
  • Posted

You are not alone. I have no support 😒. I manage to preoccupy myself with something I like or with household chores and tell myself "you're fine, get over it nothing is wrong" I take deep breathes in through my mouth and out through my nose. Eventually you start believing and accepting you are fine. Some days are harder than others, but at least you start to find some peace. Also it'll give the people around you a break because sadly they don't understand at all, and probably don't care to even want to begin or want to try to. You have to train your mind into believing you are okay. Learn to take control and breathe. Don't run away with the first negative thought or fear that pops in your head. I know it's hard, but we are the only ones that can help ourselves by accepting it is anxiety and nothing else. Then we can start to have better days. Sometimes we need medication and that's perfectly fine. I hope this helps 😐
    • Posted

Thanks Denise! I mean, I know I'm not alone, just kind of wanted to know how others deal with it. My therapist is a former anxiety "survivor" so that is kind of comforting. I do yoga and have tried meditating some. Meditation can be hard because you have to full commit to blocking out everything around you, which can be hard. I know my family and boyfriend know how miserable I can feel, but like you said, if they've never been through it, they don't know how to respond and sometimes get annoyed. I did print out soemthing I saw online for loved ones of those suffering from health anxiety and gave it to my boyfriend. He really is great, I just know he doesn't understand. He's started to implement some of those suggestions listed on the print out. He has finally stopped asking "why are you anxious?" OMG I HATE THAT QUESTION. It's chemical! I hope you feel better, Denise. And you're right, when you're busy it's not so bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.