Calling all K club members

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm traveling to Houston for my op and arriving on 3rd July. Wondering whether any of you guys stayed at the recommended hotels or whether you might recommend an alternative.

Here we go - I'm about to join the club! 

best wishes to you all.

Pete

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

First of all the best of luck and safe travels. You are in great hands.

We stayed at Hotel Zaza which is on the list. We loved it, it's a fun hotel with themed rooms and great service. Super close to the medical center too. You won't be disapointed. I didn't love the on sire resturant but it's not terrible!!

• Posted

Ross

How did you get on with the catheter? I'm not expecting a walk in the park. Did you need to have it for a week?

• Posted

Peter, I did not have any issue with getting around wiht the catheter until I did toooo much. My Dad when with us to Houston for the procedure. We stayed on the south side of town nearer some of the things he wanted to do. The day of the procedure I got out around 12:30. We went straight to a sea food restaurant and ate. I had no issue though it was I first experience with a foley or a leg bag. All was good. The next day I over did it as we went to tour the NASA facility for my Dad. It was almost a four hour outing and I did not realize that you tour many builings and ride around on a tram like the Wally World tram between the buildings . This was not good. Hard bench seats. Large speed bumps in the road along with sitting too long caused some bleeding. This did stop and clear up in a few days. But, my 85 year old Dad sure had a good time. 

Your body will tell you what is too much. Sitting was more uncomfrotable to me than standing, walking or laying down. Take it easy the first few days. No weight lifing! 

Ross is did better at this than I did and he was smart to stay in a hotel close to Doctor K.

Good luck stay in touch. 

• Posted

Thanks for this advice.  I'll take it easy. So much I want to do in Houston though. I'm a keen bird watcher and there I many sites in the area.  I'm kind of wishing I was a tourist and not a patient. I will stay in one of the hotels near to Dr K.

I'm getting a bit of a chuckle out of your old dad outpacing you!

best wishes

Pete

• Posted

Peter, I was had issues going into the procedure. I had suffered two bouts of AUR in a week and Dr K had me wearing a Foley 11 days prior and then another 8 days post. I also had spasms from the silicone catheters. Dr K on the back of my experience, has latex caths just in case you respond poorly to the silicone.

Looking back  it was a pain in the arse but it's all behind you in no time (pardon the pun!)

• Posted

Ross

Lol. There is no turning back now. I have to go through with it. My prostate is so big now it is bleeding on a very regular basis. Once this is over we can form a band called the Lost Prostates.

• Posted

Outpacing me? You have NO idea. My Dad decided a month ago to schedule and have full double knee replacement. I told him he was out of his mind! So,  24 days after surgery  he was cleared to go and he was released completely to drive or do anything he wants to do.  He went home that day, got in his car and took off. No crutches, no walker, no nothing to help him walk but his supenders for his pants!! He wants to drive me crazy.Yes, he is outpacing me.

You can enjoy Houston just wait and see how well you feel before you push yourself. You will have anti inflammatory, and pain and other pills that will help all this. I actually felt rather well after I got over the outing at NASA. I drove my car during that week and I drove home on the 5 day for six hours. That long a drive might have been too much for one day that soon, but it work out ok for me. 

I, and I am sure Ross,  will be available to talk with you as you need it. Victor is another patient of this procedure and he is near Houston. I am sure he will be avalible also. We all just want to help as needed. We got to stick together.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.