calming down a fast heartbeat!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Please someone reassure me I'm not about to have a heart attack! I'm laid in bed about to go sleep, and all of a suden my heart starts pounding to the point it's making me feel sick! My chest also feels like it's going to cave in it feels like I have loads of pressure there and my left shoulder is aching! I'm so scared I don't want to go to sleep 1 I'm trying to deep breathe it slows my heart rate down but then when I think it's stopped it starts again! Iv experienced panic attacks before so I know it's not a panic attack because I am not panicking like I usually would be! Iv had numerous tests and ecgs about 3 weeks ago they ruled our my hearts fine but obviously it can't tell if I was going to have a heart attack later on!! I'm so scares I'm 22 is it really possible for me to have anything wrong with my heart or to have a heart attack?? I have pain in my back too please can someone reassure me without me having to ring an ambulance or something it's just not going I don't know what to do sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

if you are really concerned that there is something wrong you should see a doctor
    • Posted

I have had numerous hospital visits, doctors visits, ecgs, blood tests, heart enzymes test to check for damage and all came back perfect I was at my doctors today he still assures me it's anxiety checked blood pressure, pulse, oxygen levels was 98 BP aand pulse was fine but I just keep having a pounding heart doctors put me on propanolol 10mg 3 times daily so iv been on them 3 weeks hoping they kick in soon been referred for a 24 hour ecg but now that's worrying me as doctor wouldn't obviously send me if he thought they was nothing wrong like he says they isn't I just can't get all these negative thoughts out my head and stop feeling like this sad
  • Posted

I used to rely on medication and ring the doctor constantly have imaginary pains because it's something I was not used to feeling I thought I was ill I could not accept that a pill would not take this away you must try and not let this rule your life try and live with the anxiety because if you don't you will only feel worse
    • Posted

I know I have tried so much I wake up and think today's going to be a good.day I'm not going to let it get to me but it does because I think to myself well this is a new pain it doesn't feel like last time so it must be a heart attack I'm just so convinced doctors are missing something it's bad to be like that because at the end of the day they are the professionals for a reason but I just can't accept that anxiety can cause all these physicAl symptoms Im 22 and feel like my days are numbered I'm usually a happy person with fam/friends and partner trying to reassure me constantly but I just am not satisfied with what I get told enough is enough I just cant carry on like this sad the pain in my chest when it does come is so severe and goes everywhere heart attack symptoms are and that's what makes me think we'll surely it's not anxiety I juSt don't know what to do anymore what did u do to help manage your symptoms hun?
  • Posted

I first started to distract myself in the house because my thoughts used to go around and around in my head I couldn't concentrated to read a book because I was so consumed in fear so I started to listen to audio books which helped me focus on something else it wasn't easy but with practise I managed it and I used to,do,this for things like housework and walking my dog then I started yoga that helped a little but what has really helped me is diet and excercise I don't mean to loose weight because I had so many fears I was one stone underweight I changed my diet to happy and wellbeing foods excercise helps calm me down as my illness progressed I realise anxiety is excess energy 
    • Posted

I have some audio books on my phone so going to put my ear phones in and give them a listen Its just the pain that comes and then pounding heartbeat and shaking and feeling sick that scares the he'll out of me and that's all I am constantly thinking about but ill give them auidos a try smile
  • Posted

give it a try it feels uncomfortable at first just bring your mind back to the audio book let me know if it helps
    • Posted

Thanks hun iv got bad left side chest pain right now that's causing my heart to beathe fast it's such a weird sensation as well like butterflya in my chest but in a bad way like it's gunna cave in now I'm thinking what if this time it's the start of a heart attack sad
    • Posted

Hi Laura I'm sufferin d sane symptoms as u ..I work as a HCA in hospital n no a bit maybe too much so I'm always thinking d what ifs! I get bad palps pounding heart cold sweat shaky breathing too fast n I try everything t slow it down my hr can go to 140 like u I do deep breathing think good things or another is putting something cold n ur pulse areas like ur wrists n bak of neck works wonders I then just let it pass over its been 5 wks since I've had tvring Dr n I get thus like 1-2 times weekly try t distract urself
  • Posted

It's anxiety and you must allow yourself not to be frightened of it anxiety does not kill but the feelings are real try and not panic over the panic I know it's easier said then done but this was the key for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.