Calprotectin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does raises calprotectin at 338 mean IBD? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

mine was 70 doc says bit high ,so 338 seems high 
    • Posted

I had over 1400 on one of my tests, yet I felt fine, to me that seems very strange!

I'd heard that one of the medications I take that is supposed to ease my symptoms can actually cause stomach irritation, when I mentioned this to my doctor he said 'oh, yes, so it does'!!!!

• Posted

It show inflammation somewhere, but it’s not massively high.

Ask to have it repeated to see if it has risen or fallen

Do you take any medications? Some rise the level

As do other non Ibd conditions

I hope you start to feel better or get further soon xxxxx

• Posted

Not necessarily Chantal. Could be other parts that are inflamed. It needs a colonoscopy or similar and biopsies to be absolutely sure as I understand it.

Of course as others have mentioned you can have a serious flare up (IBD) and the calco level is not raised and vice versa.

• Posted

Raised Faecal Calprotectin levels are an indication of inflammation anywhere along the gastrointestinal tract. The gastrointestinal tract is defined as being the passage that foods takes to be digested, which is anywhere from the mouth to the anus.

Raised levels do not necessarily mean you have an IBD such as Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis, it can be caused by stomach ulcers, gastritis, mouth ulcers / abcesses, certain medications, gastroenteritis (stomach bug) and sore throat to name a few.

• Posted

I also have anemia now ,mouth sores, fecal impaction and proctitis. Unbearable stabbing pain near appendix that’s clear of appendix and ovaries sad 
  • Posted

Worth knowing that NSAID drugs (such as ibuprofen) can cause raised calpro' levels.

Anything under 50 is considered normal. So 300+ indicates an infection, bad result from use of NSAIDs, or inflammation resulting from IBD - Crohn's or a form of Colitis.

Unfortunately many people find themselves in a situation where they suspect there's something more going on than IBS but it can take persistence for diagnosis or if IBD symptoms may worsen to point that it's easier to diagnose. I suspect the introduction of Calpro testing in recent years means more people see raised inflammation from testing but without a smoking gun such as IBD - but that's not to say they don't have IBD. Sounds like your consultant is doing the right things. A follow-up calpro test wouldn't be a bad idea to rule out a bad result or perhaps an infection that's passed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.