calprotectin levels and Crohn's diesease

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi am new to this site my question is this

My calprotectin test showing my levels at 550 can this be an indication of anything other than IBD? 

My medical history is this I have been experiencing abdominal pain for as many years now I was diagnosed with endometriosis at age 21(27 now)  and my pain seemed to coincide with period then ovulation as well as painful sex . Then my pain started to increase and include before my period and after and then now since June it's been a daily thing. I always put my pain down to endometriosis. My Dr did blood tests i am anemic and the pains apparently  in my bowel area so now thinks I might have crohns as well but I have none of the other symptoms ie diarrhoea or constipation. I had a colonocsopy which looked clear and they ve taken biopsis just in case. I was just wondering if the calprotectin meant yes I defiantly have some form of IBD or if it could have been a fluke injection or a sign of something else. Thanks for any help!  smile 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am not a medic but I have a calproctectin level of 600 which is to be expected when you have Crohn's.   I had blood tests and many tests but the medical consultant confirmed that a calproctectin level of this high is Crohn's.  The first test was 960 and the receptions gave a yelp when I asked for the results so I knew something was amiss.  I get continuous pain, some medicines have help but the longest I have been pain free is 5 months on infliximab until I became allergic to it.  On methotrexate now. still in pain but not as bad.  Tried everything.
  • Posted

Not sure if this will help but I have exactly the same results symptoms minus the anemia, though I'm taking supplements ATM to try and feel better now I've heard the following: colonoscopy only looks at the large bowel and a small part of the small intestines, crohns tends to affect small intestines the small intestines absorb most of the nutrients from your food so if there is a problem here you may be deficient , I'm planning on asking for endoscopy and repeat stool samples 
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny I am still awaiting he biopsy reults from colonocsopy so if it is clear like they think I'll request another calprotectin test as well as endoscope sucks that your going thru it too am on supplements not so will see what happens. Kinda hoping it's not crohns 
    • Posted

Hi saw gastologist today he was actually really nice going to to camera pill endoscopy apparently less unpleasant than endoscopy and less prep than colonoscopy make sure you ask GP for two pots one for microbes and one for calprotectin so they can rule out bugs 
    • Posted

Yeah that's a plan I get my biopsy results tomorrow  so will hopefully be able to sort that bit out smile camera pill doesn't sound too bad it's dead clever they can do that smile 
    • Posted

Just got the info on the capsule endo, I've changed my mind it's a pain in the arse, you have to go in no food water for 10hrs swallow a dummy pill, go home no food for another 4 hrs then go back for an X-ray then IF it passes through go and do it all again no less than four visits to the takes an an hour to get to hospital I'd rather the endoscopy !
    • Posted

Wow that wounds like a right faff ! I thought it d be much easier than that tbh hope your feeling alright xxv
    • Posted

It does sound faffy doesn't it but I'd imagine a lot more comfortable than endos. Think im getting my biopsy results next week, colon looked good so assuming biopsies will be fine good luck with yours, I'm doing great compared to a few weeks ago apart from the odd twinge and fatigue I usually get a months respite then it all goes to pot again, how are you doing? X
    • Posted

I thought my results were ready but it was a mix up the appointment they had sent through was for another colonocsopy which I didn't have to have thankfully. But biopsys had not come back. My abdominal  pain is still being stabby on a daily basis it's been  a little less haven't felt the need to resort to any strong meds so that's a good sign. Not really had any other symptoms. Just a waiting game now for the results and next test. 
    • Posted

I get more labour type cramps it can escalate to those type of pains, I used to get those type on their own without any other pain when my bowel was adhered to my pelvic wall it's the bowel spasming, the best meds for it were anti spasming meds need to be prescribed, but in small consistent doses they did help as I used to lift my leg when I got a stab which resulted in me looking like an idiot at work smile 
  • Posted

Hi just been informed mine over 600 and now they are arranging for me to have a capsule camera. for 24 hours monitoring my small bowel for chrones or colitis. ulcers other. my pains always been on.the right I had my appendixes out in 2013 and could be adhesions pain On the otherhand on.removal could damaged my small bowel!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.