Calprotectin levels false?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I’ve been ill for years with ibs and now I have a calprotectin level of 338. I’ve aquired a very bad pain where my appendix is for a few weeks but a&e have not found any appendix issues. 

My GI says it’s not crohns as I don’t have loose stools only severe constipation

Can calprotectin readings be false ? My mum has crohns 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

In short, Yes. They can be wrong. Just because it is high doesn't mean you have Crohn's disease. I have it and my level was very low, despite my doctor checking via scope and telling me I have severe bowel disease. The only way to know for sure is to have a colonoscopy done and biopsy samples taken to check for it. If it is bad enough they can tell by looking at it like in my case. My colon looked like ground beef that was bleeding. So it is a useful test, but it is only one tool they use to make a diagnosis and even though your mom has Crohn's it doesn't mean that you are likely to have it. From what I read the chance is very low. I am the only one in a large family tree that has bowel disease, so keep your fingers crossed that you don't have it. It is a rotten disease to have and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, if I had one. You will probably need more testing to figure out what is wrong and hopefully it isn't anything bad. I hope your mom is doing well, I know how hard this disease can be for someone to deal with. i wish you both well and feel free to ask me anything you would like to know about it and I will do my best to help. Take Care.

• Posted

Hi several GI doctors have told me the risks are very high due to my Mum, this is why they keep testing my calprotectin.  The colonoscopy was clear but they want to check my small bowel. I’m guessing it’s high because of another reason not crohns . My mums crohns was loose and constipation. Thankyou god youe kind words , I’ll have to wait for test but fingers crossed it’s a fluke . Good luck and I hope you get well soon 
  • Posted

You have about a 10% chance of getting a genetic hand down of IBD, so not too high. Did you have a colonoscopy? If so what did the terminal ilium look like? That is where Crohn's tends to set up shop first. It is rare for it to develop in other areas but not unlikely. I had symptoms in my esophagus as a young man. I hope you don't have it and you feel better soonsmile

• Posted

She got to the illeum and said it needs looking at with a pill cam.  Not sure why 
  • Posted

Reading through - I was about to suggest a capsule endoscopy. The pill will get to areas that an endoscopy and colonoscopy can't. It's possible they'll see something there and nowhere else. Crohn's can be highly localised in terms of ulceration (perhaps colitis too but I don't know so much there). It's non obtrusive like a colonoscopy - say you'd like one to be sure, and if they're that concern about it being a genetic likelihood, I'm sure they'll go for it.

?The only other 'likely' reason for high calprotectin (other than IBD) is an infection. Although my consultant at one point said it could be 'non specific' inflammation before later diagnosing Crohn's. I think non specific inflammation is a "I don't really know what it is" catch-all. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.