Cam anyone give me an estimated length of time of being off work post op?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I work as a healthcare assistant and recently started to consider the operation I was offered in Nov 2014, due to my leg/hip pain becoming unbearable and starting to take extreamly strong analgesia. To fuse discs l4/l5 or remove them dependent on what the neurosurgeon decides would be best once I'm opened up. I've had 1 nerve block and due another in August. I went to work straight after the first one and walked out of theatre very determined to not let it stop me. So I know I can work after them. I would like to know how fast others have gone to work after having the disc removed or fused? I have also been diagnosed with early onset corda equina. If all goes well can I go back to work within a week? I get bored at home very easily.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello there, i had my operation on 04/05/2015 and went back to work on 08/06/15. Its good to get enough rest. i am now working on half day and i am doing very well. Unless its very light work, i would not be for going back to work after a week. you will not be doing your self any justice. Be patient otherwise you could go back for another operation with another disk problem if not careful. All the best and God bless

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. My jobs quite a heavy one as a healthcare assistantsad I'm going to see the nureosurgen next week so I have all my fingers crossed for a fast return to work.
  • Posted

Hi Kadie, I really don't think you would be able to work after a week. It's major surgery and I think the earliest they recommend is 4 weeks but only if you have a job that requires no lifting, twisting or bending. I recently went back to work at 6 weeks after a 2 level fusion but I'm phased and still not able to do a full working week due to the tiredness. I'm nearly 9 weeks post op.

Having an injection in your back like a nerve block is normal to return to work the next day.

I was very active before my operation, however after surgery the first 2/3 weeks were exhausting and I didn't want to do anything but rest up.

• Posted

Hello I had my op on the 14th April and was back to work on the 29th May smile Everyone is different though! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.