CAM Boot no crutches

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys! So today is my 6 week post surgery ORIF for a bimalleour ankle fracture and I have been given the all clear to full weight bare without crutches, but in camboot for another 4 weeks yay! However I have tried to walk solo just with camboot today and it’s such a struggle!!! I feel like I’m limping and just so slow - probably faster when I was on two crutches. Has anyone had this struggle when they transitioned to camboot walking (no crutches)!? Or is it because it is the first day so hence my body isn’t used to it?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear Paris

I think you would be best to grab both crutches so that you can gently ease yourself into the new boot. Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi, 

I was given the clear for WB in in my week 4 post the surgery, but i refused to start until week 6, can you describe your surgery? plat, how many screws? and how do you feal in WB? did you start PT? can i see your 6 week xray?

• Posted

I was partial WB when I got my boot until about week 8 when the surgeon told me to ditch the boot and FWB in my own shoes. I would say listen to your own body as it will tell you when the times right.

i am now about week 13 and only just coming off my crutches however, I had a mental block about walking as I had forgotten how to do it but slowly getting there.

Everyone is different but we all get there in the end.

Good luck, Kenny

• Posted

I was given a boot at 6 weeks post op and told that I could start weight bearing as tolerated. I had to keep the boot on when walking, but could take it off if I was just sitting around. I started with 2 crutches, then down to 1 crutch, and then down to no crutches. My body wasn't used to having weight on that foot or used to doing the walking motion. It took time to get myself to do that. Also, I wanted to minimize how much of a limp I had. So I stayed with 2 crutches until I was fully comfortable, etc.  I had to stay in the boot for 6 weeks, so I didn't see any reason to rush it. At 12 weeks post op I was allowed to take the boot off and start walking in shoes. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Amanda. How long did it take to go from 2 crutches to no crutches?

Sounds like you’re healing well. Way to go! 

• Posted

I'm a cautious person, so it took me about a month. I didn't see any reason to hurry it along and moved at a pace I was comfortable with.

• Posted

6 weeks post ORIF was boot with crutches partial weight bearing the first week, then more weight bearing with 1 crutch (opposite side of injury), then full weight bearing with boot.
  • Posted

Paris,

I can't fathom why your practitioner turned you loose to full weight bear at 6 weeks without priming your ankle first with partial weight bearing (crutches or walker frame).

Each patient's circumstances are different, so a few patients may have no problems with suddenly going to full weight bearing, even if in boot. Most of us are mere mortals however so taking it gradually and easy is probably best.

The unspoken reality (from most doctors) is that most of us suffered serious soft tissue damage when we fractured our ankles and those injuries prove a potent impediment to rapid recovery to a normal ankle. These soft tissue issues can be obstinate and take a long time to overcome completely. So be prepared.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.