came home today after open chole, now what

Posted , 4 users are following.

Amazing no pain whatsoever, needed painkillers for first48hrs only. Much nurses disgust ran up 5 steps turnaround and ran down, ok stupid but I was on dilaudid, that my excuse. Only , had horrible 10 hours of stomach trying to get started. My best guess was 100 trips in past two days. Visits slowing down but still cramps and involuntary pushing. So my real interest here is, what is real in the world food I can eat. Left hospital on gi soft. Had bad experience drinking a Starbucks decaf with milk, boy I need to learn fast. Summing up ,op at Cleveland Clinic was fantastic, I don't want to mess up my progress with wrong diet. Any help much appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What I have seen from other folks gone through surgery is to try low fat/protein/oily food for few weeks.

What were your symptoms before surgery?

• Posted

Hi Bryan:. I had my gallbladder out last year in February. For the first day I had soup and coffee. The dr told me I can eat anything I like. Which I have been. But am gonna warn you though. Just watch the greasey and acidy foods for awhile, like anything with tomato's, until body feels better. I ate almost anything. I couldn't digest pizza for awhile cause of the dough. But you should be able to eat what you want . Your body will inform you of what you can't or can eat But food will taste better, alot better. But when you do eat for the first while, just make sure your near a washroom. Take care and talk soon ..

• Posted

Hi, you are right about washroom soon as I eat I feel need to usually it seems to be false alarm but still disconcerting
  • Posted

Hi Bryan, I am three weeks post op and had the same dilemma the first few days. My doc told me to avoid alcohol, red meat, caffeine, cheese, pastry, fizzy drinks and fried foods for 6-8 weeks. No big deal as been off them for six months now. Some of them I will try to introduce again slowly over time and in moderation. Still a bit scared at the moment!!

I am eating chicken, fish, vegetables, rice, soups, tofu, vegetable pasta, low fat cheese, fruit juices and lots of teas and infusions. No ill effects so far.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

You ask about symptoms before, about 4 hrs of real pain in the night center and across top of stomach, did not really seem to be totally food or volume dependent . I think it was more the mix. Tests already showed I had multiple stones but due to previous cancer surgery on intestines they really did not want to operate till it finally turned into pancratitas, my view was mortality risk poo, get this done now. Cleveland Clinic was great, op was as perfect as could be it's the recovery that has me living in the bathroom, however the BRAT diet is helping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.