Came off cit 10mg about a month ago don't know whether I've done the right thing?!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on cit 10mg for 16 months thought I was ok so started off just taking half for a week then stopped. Felt ok but the last few days seem to get emotional and cry at stupid things is this normal ? Don't really want to go back on them sad( anybody else felt like this? X 

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I did this with prozac and seemed fine then went downhill. You need your doctors help in reducing the dosage as it has to be done properly. I thought i didn't need them anymore but how wrong i was. I am now on Citalopram because of this and started panic attacks which i hadn't had before. Please get Doctors advice. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

I was feeling emotional early morning needs to cry a little, just knowing I would have to face the pile of stressfilled bouts I would have to go through before it even started, but I feel so much better, since I started on this little magic pill. However, I was told by my doctor, if I was going to make any changes in dosage or stop taking it altogether, I was to tell him first. Hope this helps? Hang in there.
  • Posted

Read the blogs and you can make your own mind up whether you want to take Citalopram!

Personally, i would persevere or go back to your GP and request medication that has less severe side effects.

best of luck.

• Posted

Hi guys thanks for replying back to me. I have next week off work so going to see how I am if feeling a bit low etc will pay the docs a visit x 
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,

I have just come across your discussion and wanted to let you know that i was on cit for 11 months after discussion with my loved ones and some deep consideration i decided to come off the pills completly. I know it goes against what the docs said and i probably made it harder for myself than i needed to but the only advice i can give you is to stick with it.

My first few days of coming off werent too bad then i felt i hit rock bottom i diddnt even turn up to work for two days i stayed in bed with the curtains drawn feeling sorry for myself and crying at the most stupid things.

I kept getting tingles through my head and like a jerking feeling in my body.

I dont know how or when or where but i found the will power in myself to pull it together.

I stopped relying on the pills and started asking myself why do i feel this way? and addressing those problems. i told myself that the bad thoughts or upset feelings i had were not mine and concentrated on the positives in my life.

another thing i suffered with was a short temper i snapped at everyone over the slightest thing i found taking myself away from the situation until i had calmed down was the best thing to do and because i had talked about it with my closest i was lucky that they understood.

I just want you to know that you are so much more than a pill, we both are, it's about learning to realise your own self worth and focusing on the positive, setting personal goals and finding enjoyment in achieving them however big or small.

I have been off the citilopram for 7 months and i honestly feel like i have woken up from an 11 month sleep. i never realised the effects of the cit until i look back now. You have the right to be your own person and own your own thoughts i know it may seem hard now but i promise things will get better for you. Do not let yourself believe you need the cit to be happy all you need is you!

i am sure us in this forum are willing to help one another along the way.

i hope i have helped a little bit.

Lauren =) xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.