Campfire & MD help

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my MD symptoms fairly under control, no ringing and good range.  Then we had a campfire about a week and a half ago.  Ever since then my ear has been ringing like a loud bell...constantly.  Does anyone have any ideas to cut out the ringing, maybe steaming or something.  I will take any options to try, but any deal with it or that is how it is doesn't need to be shared.  I understand that my MD will only get worse, but I am never going to give up hope.  Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Meniere's disease symptoms often flair up do to allergies.  Being outdoors and near campfire smoke could certainly make you symptomatic.  Have you been tested for allergies?  About half of MD occurs in patients that have allergies.  You might be one of them.  Until you can see an allergist you might want to start taking a nasal antihistamine and see if that makes a difference.  Let us know what you find out.

• Posted

Hi, ok so I hear your pain! 

I notice if I eat salty foods the noise gets louder. I broke down and got hearing aids and it does help. Also, I use zicsm spray everyday. Now this is gross but it helps, warm nasal wash that you add solution too seems to help. Good luck

• Posted

Michael,

I've seen on this blog that Betahistine works on multiple Meniere's symptoms. I can't find it so have to wait for a prescription from my ENT. On the meantime I use CBD drops from hemp (no THC). Just 4 drops under my tongue will calm my symptoms in a few minutes. It has neen a Godsend!

• Posted

Sounds like the smoke caused an attack. From what I understand there is not much you can do. Just drink lots of water. I camp a lot and the smoke affects my allergies. I found a nasual spray helps.

Good luck

• Posted

A lot of great advice for you Michael. I would only add the journaling piece. It can be a bore, but doing so may help you narrow down the triggers. 
    • Posted

I did journaling for about 9 months keeping track of everything that came in.  Nothing even affected my MD food wise.  The only thing I get is after a large sodium day about 2 days later my body dumps all that water and I have some strange symptoms (non MD).  I have been on the AIP diet for about 5-6 weeks now, and I saw improvements until this smoke.  Otherwise everything I have ever tracked food, baro pressure, weather, stress, pollen has had no effect.  I have keep my sodium in the 1500 mg range just for the point of inflammation.  But if I have a cheat day and eat anything and everything (usually Christmas/Thanksgiving) I never have any side effects.  The only thing I have noticed since my diet change is that when I get a vertigo attack at night I can lay there and get through it without throwing up...so that alone is worth the diet.   Also I feel good I just miss my balance, no spinning just not a stable anymore.  I don't know what else to track as a trigger as so far every attack not corresponded with any trigger I can find.  The only thing left that might be triggering it could be my TMJ that seems to get worse around the time I get an attack.  I am planning to get braces this year to try and rule that out or fix it.  Either way who doesn't want nice teeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.