Campral

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm 36.  I've been a diagnosed alcoholic for about 10 years, been drinking for about 23.  At my peak, I was drinking 1+ bottle of vodka every day just to function.  For about the last 4 years I've been doing better, with serious relapses/binges about every 6-12 months.  I've done AA.  Also Antabuse but it scares me a little so I go off it thinking Im in a good place, then BAM! I talked to a doc about maybe trying TSM and Naltrexone but with my history, he wouldn't advise it.  Did not want to take Vivitrol as I don't like the idea of blocking endorphins 24X7X365.  We settled on Campral.  I've been on it about 6 months now.  Just realized I'm getting into the danger zone having not drank in 6 months.  I guess my real question is, can you tell that Campral is having any effect?  I don't have any craving so I guess that is good, but I typically don't have cravings until right before I drink!  My last few relapses came out of nowhere with very little to trigger them.

Does the medication have any noticeable effect, or should I just assume if I'm not drinking it's working?!  If it's not doing anything, I might as well just go back to Antabuse.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No, Campral doesn't have any noticeable effect other than you find yourself not thinking about alcohol. Just keep taking it.

• Posted

The fact that your psych laughed and was so closed to the Sinclair method kind of disgusts me. It works. I’m living proof. I drank in my car On my way to work, 2 martini lunches, more beer in my car on the way home...then a whole lot when I got home. I even blacked out during a staff meeting in front of the entire department at work, swearing, laughing...you get the picture. Now I have 330ml of cucumber sake at night and I’m trying to cut that to 6 instead of 7 days a week. All from naltrexone.

I would google “docs who support TSM” you’ll find someone. Even if you still drink. It won’t be so so awful. I owe my life, job to it.

• Posted

Then you. I've heard to many success stories to think it doesn't work. I'll keep trying. The fact that I'm sober know I think it's what made the last doc say no. Maybe I'll never drink again! I just know from past experience that that isn't usually the case. Hopefully if I IF and when I do stink I'll have access to the curing medication.

• Posted

Definitely if your not drinking it's helping ! Well done !! I am a recovered alcoholic since 2011 but I really must warn you that on off drinking can and does cause brain damage. I was a big drinker with upto 2 litres of Vodka 2 litres of strong cider plus wine per day !! I now suffer with Korsakoff's syndrome, arthritis ,very bad circulation and had a major DVT in my right leg which required surgery. I am 48 yrs old live with my parents due to having Dimentia and losing my house !! Nothing good !! Now without the drink yes my illnesses are not the best but I am now a grandmother of 4 beautiful children I do keep myself busy and can safely say after the lessons I have learned would never touch alcohol again !! I had nothing offered to me medication wise so if yours is working keep going with it and also as always alot of will power and again a huge well done and good luck with your FUTURE xx

• Posted

Yes, if you are a heavy drinker and constantly come off alcohol, then there is a danger of damage to the brain. When you come off alcohol, the brain and body is in need of a number of vitamins. Which is why if you're in hospital they inject you with B12 etc. The other problem is that very heavy drinkers tend not to eat (no appetite) and there is a need to take supplements, such as thiamine, B12, folic acid and a B multivitamin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.