Campral EC/Acamprosate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone ever taken this or know how it compares to similar drugs that are to be used once you have sucessfully completed a detox on diazepam?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I took it for two years and never wanted a drink. I was on two tablets three times a day. First week I wanted a drink, but after about ten days it kicked in. It's supposed to take away cravings and thoughts of alcohol. I had no side effects at all. I had to have an LFT before starting them.

i have to be honest here, if I was going on holiday, wedding or a party., I would stop taking them a week before so I could 'partake'!! Afterwards wait five days then start taking them. Not the correct way at all.

ive never had a detox but took diazapam  whilst taking camprol.

i would recommend it, as for two years it was a deterrent.

hope that helps a bit

i took Antabuse for a year, had one drink and came out covered in red burning spots all over my body. My own fault entirely. It's very rarely used now.

• Posted

That's what I thought, but my GP won't prescribe it and want's me to go to Addaction - never again, no thank you.

So, trying to find a reliable pharmacy that sells it, of course UK pharmacies won't touch you without a prescription and the one online doctor form I filled it, said to go back and have my GP deal with it.

If feels like going around in circles, because he will say back to Addaction, who will say 8 - 12 weeks, by which time it might be too late. You're meant to take Campral as soon as you're detoxed so there is no gap.

• Posted

Hi vickylou

Is that correct about Antabuse not being used much? I have been on it since last August but my GP was reluctant to prescribe it until my counsellor came to the appointment with me and talked him round.

I had Campral as well previously but it did nothing for me apart from give me an upset stomach.

Antabuse seems to be big round these parts I remember one time there was a problem with the drug being despatched and all the chemists ran out apart from one which nobody knew about. Loads of folk relapsed then according to my counsellor.

• Posted

RHGB

Yes you should start taking camprol Immediately after detox and LFTs are ok, as that's the time you

totally agree with you about addaction, only went once and was introduced to my support worker, what a joke! She was about 18, younger and less qualified than my youngest daughter.

i don't know where you live but have you googled ADS. The one near me is self referral and they have a resident doctor who can prescribe your medication.

its for both alcohol and drug treatment. It annoys me that methadone can be prescribed easily, with patients having to drink it in front of a pharmacist, but there's no help for us drinkers.

you feel like a ping pong ball, going backwards and forwards and going nowhere and creates more stress and anxiety, which greatly increases the risk of relapsing.

you can more or less get any drug without a prescription online if you're prepared to pay, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

a friend of mine was in a similar situation to you. She paid for a private half hour with a physciatrist, who wrote her a prescription, along with a letter to her GP telling him to prescribe further prescriptions.

good luck and stay strong 😄😄

• Posted

Hi ann

I am not medically qualified to answer your question, the best person is Paul Turner who is qualified and gives excellent advice here.

However, what I can tell you is I have several doctor friends, including my son, who say it went out with the arc and should be withdrawn as it can cause more harm than good in some people.

am sure Paul will answer you, or you could send him a private message. Please don't stop taking them based on my experience, but maybe you could google Antabuse and read the many reviews and articles about it.

Then see your GP and discuss it with him/her.

having taken both camprol and Antabuse, camprol was much better.

• Posted

Nearest ADS is Tamworth and I'm south of Warwick. If it was a one off trip, I'd go, but they sound a little like Addaction and there is no mention on their website about prescribing suitable medication. I really don't want to have multiple sessions, one packet of diazepam was enough to detox me, which means I have a packet in reserve for emergencies.

I know that is a big no, no, but when help is so difficult and not forthcoming, who can blame me.

I'm interested in the fact that psychiatrists can prescribe things like Campral. I have/had one (psychiatrist) at the stroke rehab hospital, which I stopped seeing last month. She was basically doing cognitive tests on me and seeing that mentally I had come out okay from my stroke.

I'm not due to see her again, but I can email her and she did leave it open, that if ever I needed to see her, I could. But I doubt she would be the right sort of psychiatrist. I'm struggling to find a psychiatrist that would be suitable to see like your friend did and get a prescription.

Would you be able to let me know how she came to find a suitable one? The other alternative, is to call a new GP surgery that has set up, not too far away and see if they have different views. If they did, I would switch, it would be like losing an old friend of 15 years, I don't think there has been a month gone by in the last 18 months for either liver or stroke tests, but needs must.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.