Campral giving me diarrhoea

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just finished detox a week ago after a period of around 6 months when i became alcohol dependent. During that time i ate little diet very poor. Detox fine no cravings at all, prescribed campral 4 times a day one morning one lunch 2 at night. But they seem to be makming my tummy hurt and are giving me diarrhoea. I already suffer with ibs. Reduced dose to one during day and 2 at night but its still happening. Is it my body readjusting to eating again or the tablets or both? Im disappointed as im eating much better now i dont know what to do. Can anyone help please

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ask your dr if you can lessen the dose of Campral.

I had this problem and I lessened it to 3 tablets a day...and when I take it...it does take care of the cravings.

Some people can get away (like me) and have a lesser dose.

I had to lessen it due to IBS as well.

• Posted

Missy2 when do you take your campral please. I take one on a morning with a hot drink and biscuits been skipping lunchtime then have a good evening meal at about 7pm then a milky drink about 11 with biscuits and have 2. Still having diarrhoea and now on anti depressant which isn't helping either! Please can you advise me! Thanks

• Posted

You're not taking enough. It is 4 a day for 60kgs and under and 6 a day for over 60gs.

They should be taken 3 times a day. Campral has poor oral bioavailability.

• Posted

But the more I take the more I'm going to the loo. And I don't understand oral bioavalibility still no cravings still on 3

• Posted

It means, taken by mouth, how effectively the body is at absorbing the medication. A lot of it gets flushed out of your system without getting used.

Have you looked at the rest of your diet, to see it something could be improved, to help set the regularity? I used to take 6 tablets a day without problems.

• Posted

I am also taking campral. Two morning, lunch and evening. I have experienced stomach pains which even woke me at night. I was beginning to think I had an ulcer. Stopped the campral for a couple of days and the discomfort lessened greatly.
    • Posted

had 2 last night hasnt been quite as bad today but had imodium yesterday and havent today, will persevere a bit longer but just going to take 3 a day
    • Posted

hasnt been asbad today but had imodium yesterday but not today will persevere a bit longer just on 3 a day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.