campylobactor.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started with bad stomach cramps 5 weeks ago, awful diarrhea, sweats, body aches etc. I went to the drs after a week and i had to take a stool sample in which showed campylobactor so i had a week of antibiotics. it eventually stopped the diarrhea and cramps. But i haven't felt right since then, i keep feeling clammy/sickly and my bowels are still not right. I didnt go yesterday but i had awful pains and today i have had stomach cramps again and been 3 times. I keep feeling awful and clammy. I thought the antibiotics would have got rid of it all and then been ok but i don't feel well still. Anyone else have this and need more than a week of antibiotics?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with H-Pylori back in May 2016. I took antibiotics for 14 days. Here it is the middle of October and I still have abdominal pain that is unbelievable. Told the doc , but he just said oh I'm sure it's gone and didn't test to make sure. But he did order other test to rule out liver , gallbladder and pancreas. All clear. My symptoms are excruciating abdominal pain and neausea all the time. He did say I had stomach inflamation though. I think maybe turmeric in my meal with about 2 oz. of red wine yesterday made the pain a lot worse. So , I need info on this just like you. I don't think H-Pylori is cured as easily as doctors claim.

• Posted

Yes. It's the same thing. It's awful. I don't know what else to do. The bacteria can't live in Pepto Bismal , which was part of my treatment. After I finished the treatment I should have continued the Pepto Bismal I guess.

• Posted

They said they couldn't be positive but here's what I've learned. Been taking 81 mg asprin daily for years. Could have been asprin. Almost everybody already has the bacteria but it doesn't usually cause a problem until the immune system drops , for whatever reason. Unwashed fruits can also cause it. If whoever picked the fruit was infected it can be spread that way. I also read it can actually be transfered from person to person. I guess the biggest reason people get it though is because of a low immune system.

• Posted

Soo sorry I couldn't be more help to you. It's just not as easy to get rid of as they think. I hope you're one of the people who get rid of it.

• Posted

The only thing i could think of was meatballs i had a few days befor, but who knows.
    • Posted

As a nitpicking lab person, I can't agree here.

--> NO, H.pylory is not the same as campylobacter....jejunii.

H.pylori was formerly called Campylobacter pylori,

so many misunderstandings happened that finally the name was changed,

BUT

there is a CAMPYLOBACTER JEJUNI still, which we name shortly 'campylobacter' causing diarrhea, pain, abdominal cramps, fever since inflitrating the intestine mucosa,

whereas H.pylori can't live in the intestine mucosa, but stomach (gastritis, ulcer).

I am sure you have had a campylobacter jejunii infection proven in stool sample. ??

They are related, yes, they are bacteria, GRAM neg in staining, similar built, but they are not the same please as you see already re symptoms and location. Treatment seems different, too.

Campylobacter is usually left alone when infected and symptomatic treatment the first line: electrolytes, hydration, since it is self limiting, usually.

One also needs to take special care not to infect anyone else, high hygiene, since it is so contagious (needs very low numbers to get infected and sick in contrary to e.g. salmonella)

If the campylobacter (jejuni) sickness takes longer than 1 week, or if one is immune suppressed or bloody stools or high fevers happen, that's when antibiotics are indicated in this case.

Due to too fast treatment with fluoroquinolone right away in 100000s of people and feeding our food animals with this antibiotic, we have now the problem, that many campylobacter j is mostly fluoroquinolone-resistant....

Erythromycin is mainly used today,

when Campylobacter jejuni treatment is indicated,

also macrolids like azithromycin and clarithromycin seem to work. 

Tetracycline, amoxicillin, ampicillin, metronidazole, and cephalosporins hardly work anymore.

Good luck!

Stay well hydrated and take it easy! Campylobacter (jejuni) is very painful and highly contagious.

You might look at the antibiotic you took and go back to the doc to get stool re-tested. Of course it can still be going on.

• Posted

Happy to hear from a nitpicking lab person ! Thanks for clearing that up. As a non lab person I didn't realize they were different. I hope Dianne has read your response. And I apologize to Dianne and anyone else who read my post. I truly appreciate your straightening this out.

• Posted

cheesygrincheesygrincheesygrin Ta so much for your understanding.

Former Campylobacter pylori (now helicobacter pylori), Campylobacter jejuni/coli and other diarrhea, pain, fever causing ones...

of course they get mixed up by non-annoying non-lab people with this same genus name.

It's confusing and easy to think them the same, they are curvy bacteria alltogether afterall.

Also saying: one who is battling a nasty Campylobacter infection,

can additionally have a Helicobacter pylori infection, too.

One does not rule out the other, but symptoms are usually a bit different due to location and effect.

So info is very valuable still even regarding the other pathogen.

I had some family members recently coming back from holidays with 'nice' campylobacter (not sure which species, most likely the most common 'jejuni'wink infection, out of work for another 10 days and really loosing weight and suffering fever, pain, aches.

It was compulsory though to re-sample stool until clear of campylobacter jejuni especially as one was a cook and not allowed back into kitchen due to the high contagiousness of this bug. The infection was monitored (and reported to the health care office) like salmonella.

Every country will have different protocolls regarding this infection.

One wrong hand washing or touching the tap (problem: tap is opened with possible dirty hand prior washing, hence one needs to close the tap with a paper towel to not have campylo getting on the hands back again....) and voila open doors to infect others. Healthy people can deal with it, but very young, old or immune suppressed people can get seriously ill if not worse.

Hence the precaution to not have an unmonitored endemic or epedemic disease of campylobacter since it is very contagious.

Hence I had advantage refreshed memory and so nit picking about difference. cheesygrin

Good luck to you both and may you get rid of those nasties, no matter if campylo or helico.

• Posted

I think the inflamation in my stomach really complicated my problem. So maybe you don't have inflamation and it might go away. I might be stuck with this thing.

• Posted

Request a follow-up test to see if the campylobactor is gone. You may need additional treatment.  Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.