Can a broken femur heal without surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

A relative of mine has recently been diagnosed with a broken femur (an oblique break at the top of the femur bone). She has severe osteoporosis which is likely what cause the break as it was done simply by sitting down. When taken to A&E, she was told she'd need surgery and would be admitted overnight and surgery would take place the next day. we were told the break was quite bad as the bone had move a lot.

Shortly after, she was then told she wouldn't need surgery (thankfully) and sent home and told to try to walk/move around as much as possible. I'm just wondering how a bone is supposed to heal if you're walking around on it? Will it not make the bone move further?

In all honesty, the doctors/surgeons/nurses didn't fill me with confidence as no-one seemed to talk to each other and no-one knew what was going on. She'll be going back to the fracture clinic shortly for a further opinion.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It will all depend on exactly where the fracture occurred and if its perfectly aligned and even then its not guaranteed especially if the blood supply is compromised.

As for walking on it she needs to be absolutely sure its the right thing to do and my advice would be to go back and see either her GP or the consultant who passed her fit to weight bear completely.

I'm a reciprecant of bad advice after a hip fracture and still on crutches after 3 years.

If the hip needed surgery one minute what tests did they carry out to change their decision

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.