Can a cluster headache be caused by exercise

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi , I am a 46 year old male and believe that I have started to have cluster headaches . All the symptoms are as listed here and the past few weeks have been the worst of my life trying to work and manage the intensity of pain . I am waiting on some results from the doctor to rule out other concerns but he asked me what has changed recently , The only thing I have been doing differently is alot of exercise and trying to lose weight by taking daily or exercise every other day on my cross trainer . If I am honest , I have probably been over doing it as its my first real exercise for a number of years !! The X trainer is located in my garage which gets very warm and I have been wearing quite a few layers in order to sweat as much and help with the calories and fat burn . I read that excessive heat or temperature rises can contribute so would appreciate any comments or thoughts on this . Many thanks and regards

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think the exact cause of cluster headaches is unknown, but abnormalities in the hypothalamus likely play a role. Cluster attacks usually occur with clocklike regularity during a 24-hour day, and the cycle of cluster periods often follows the seasons of the year.Unlike migraine and tension headache, cluster headache generally isn't associated with triggers, such as foods, hormonal changes or stress.

• Posted

Never had this clockwork regularity.  My attacks at night are triggered by REM sleep - once I'm dreaming, an attack will start, regardless of the time. During the day: totally random. Alcohol - guaranteed CH attack trigger. Cluster heads don't touch booze at all during a bout.

• Posted

Hi, see my post with the first question this forum.
  • Posted

Most CHers are too tired to try exercise!  CH attacks every hour at night for a couple of months... Sorry, it can be a trigger for an attack but when CHers are in bout the last thing we think of doing is exercise.

• Posted

Hi when I'm going though a cluster exercise definitely serves as a trigger , probably on basis of rise in temperature and blood pressure. Other triggers I have when in a cluster - booze, sleeping in the day /lie ins, stress , to much sun and heat . The other thing to watch out for is too many imigran shots. I get up to 6 headaches a day when at peak and the ironic thing is that the more medication I take, although relieving pain in the short term ,  cause  the clusters to go on longer than  they use to before I started the medication. Try and use Oxygen as much as you can but get to it quick..if I don't get to the O2 within a couple of mins of the start of the attack then I'm buggered. Oh yes one other thing..I get so stressed during clusters about the thought of my next headache that this stress causes more headaches - havw a good cry /scream and that really helps. Hope this has helped you 
    • Posted

Been a CH host over 10yrs. Read up loads on them. Your answer is spot on. Never knew bout the triptans either, so thanks for that info too. Best regards Phil
  • Posted

Hi,I am suffering from Cluster headaches too.If I have a panadol just when CH is about to start, I can get rid of it in a very short while...say within 15 to 20 mins.

I am also interested to know if there are any exercises which could help with the pain.Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.