Can a cystoscopy to diagnose prostate cancer or BPH?

Posted , 10 users are following.

My General practitioner gave me  a PSA test which came out below normal. However

I had increasingly more symptoms of frequent urination or not be able to urinate typical signs B pH.

So I went to my initial urology appointment. The urologist simply gave me a cystoscopy. He did not give me the Digital rectal exam. During the cystoscopy he found very small superficial tumors in my bladder. He's going to remove. But he did not properly diagnose my Prostrate gland.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

The tumors may be the cause of the BPH signs.  How did they say they were going to get rid of the tumors.  He had no problem get through the prostate so your prostate must be ok.  But something does not seam right,  Most of the time they do more test before they do the cystoscopy???  Ken
    • Posted

Really Kenneth?  I thought the cystoscopy was one of the first things after diagnosis of BPH.  I know my urethra is getting pinched or blocked by something undoubtedly my prostate (only had the glove up the anus exam).  But I thought it was important to see exactly the blockage first. 
    • Posted

Well if that is what you doctor wants to do.  But it was 3 month's before I had that done.  I had a bunch of other test done first.  My prostate was fine at that time.  That is when he found a stricture just before the prostate.  Really   Have a great day  Ken

• Posted

Get a 3 TMRI and you will be able to see what is totally going on and also see if there are any cancerous lesion tissue present. If you need a recommendation let me know I will provide all the facts and the doctor I used who I believe is the best.
    • Posted

He may be thousands of miles away from your doctor.
    • Posted

True, maybe he will tell us where he is?

• Posted

I'm also wondering what a below normal PSA reading is. I assumed that zero is normal. Mine came down after my two BPH laser procedures. I thought that I had misheard when it was checked last time and I was told it was 0.74.

• Posted

One thing at a time. What's wrong with your urologist dealing with what is found to be sufficient explanation for your condition first? When you are recovered from that, he will no doubt check your PSA again. If it's still raised, more investigation will no doubt be done then, including DRE. You won't be easily discharged from his care until everything possible is done to make sure you are OK. Have some trust. By all means ask questions, but don't panic about your prostate - there may be nothing wrong with it!

• Posted

Odd, no DRE as part of the workup. Did he do an office bladder scan to see how completely your bladder is emptying? Did he tell you the characteristics of your prostate from the cystoscopy -- enlarged median lobe, for example? Did you fill out a simple symptom test (IPPS)? All part of a bph workup. Did he biospy the bladder tumors as part of the cystoscopy? Personally, I'd find out a little more about what is going on before proceeding. And, if you're not confident, or communciating well with your urologist, a second opinion might be in order before you have anything removed.

Jim

• Posted

Hey Jim  It seam like were missing something.  I don't think anyone of us had a cystoscopy done the first time we saw the doctor.  I had all the test first to see if everything else was working They he did a scope to see what the problem was.  I think like what you said talk with the doctor or see another one.  Something is not right here.  Ken 

• Posted

Excellent point! The only reason I can think of is if there was hematuria, i.e. bleeding (not mentioned by OP) because cystoscopy is part of the bladder cancer workup. But like you say, it's not part of the initial bph workup.

Jim

• Posted

Yes. Something is not right.  It does not make since.  Ken  
    • Posted

Also.  He does not say how they are going to remove the tumors. I know I had a friend.  That he had tumors in his bladder but they found that he had cancer.  They wanted to remove the bladder but they also wanted to take out everything.  Bladder, prostate, part of the urethra, seminal vessel and the lymph nodes.  He said no  we need more information   ken     
    • Posted

The OP did not say what country he is in. Different countries have different  ways of doing things.

Also the OP has not replied to any questions.

• Posted

Yes I know.  He did not give us much information  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.