can a dose of citalopram be too high?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My 16 year old son was on 20mg of citalopram and responded really well, he was social and happy after 10 weeks on them, really happy unlike he has ever been. I cant remember when they started kicking in but it was a steady climb from week 3 or 4. Now he has been put up to 30 and after 2 horrendous weeks of side effects including massive depression, tiredess etc we are currently on week 4.5. he is not half as bright as he was before the increase. he had 4 great days last week but has had 3 bad days in a row where he is barely able to get out of bed, he cant be botehred and is very negative. My question is how long should an increase take to take effect. Do we stick it out for longer or do we ask to get the meds reduced? Any help appreciated because I am getting really worried. He sees his therapist tomorrow and his doctor in a week. i know people say to give it 6-8 weeks but surely we should be seeing positive change by now after this long?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am on week 4 now and only just started to feel myself, maybe the change in dosage would start him off again. Maybe the lower dose might be better for him if he was doing better?

Could also be that the citalopram is not for him with the high dosage. Why up the dose when he had all of the side effects listed.

Hang in there, its hard for everyone involved and i shut people out too.

• Posted

thanks dawn- he upped the dose himself with his doctor. I suspect it is a case of being 16 and it not working fast enough for him. He was going so well on the lower dose. I think we might go and see the doctor about taking it down to 25 and see what happens. I just hope that the 5 drop doesnt make him reboot and have to start all over again. So frustrating and so hard to watch, I gather by now at 4.5 weeks since the increase he should be starting to see some better progress than being still so low. That said he does nothing to help himself- no excerise and locks himself away in his room and watches movies which makes him even lower. I think the time has come for me to turn off the wifi for some hours to get him to come out and be present. 
    • Posted

Not a problem, it is hard, for me i find getting up and keep busy helps me. work is my sanity and keeps me occupied when i am home i wallow like your son does so can completely understand how he feels also.

Go with the WIFI switch off it certainly wont harm him and may even help.

• Posted

yup. He does get out and about but is a bit wallowy since the meds increase. I kick myself for letting it happen frankly.  I had a feeling it was a dumb idea but it is what it is so now its just about fixing it and keeping him safe till we do. He is quite low the last 3 days but was greaet for the 4 before that. So damn hard.
  • Posted

It could be too high a dose. See the GPAsk him or her. best wishes, Neville
    • Posted

thanks in all my vast motherly reading I have only ever heard of people being unmotivated and tired on too high a dose but not down and depressed after a really good run on a lower dose. I am so relieved to hear that this is a thing. im just terrifyed that no he will not work on 25 or even the 20 that was amazing for him but I am unecessarily worrying ? surely if 20 worked before for him it will work if they reduce it? 
  • Posted

You need to speak to the medical professional that increased it. I've been through the same thing and the dose was titration down and helped me a great deal.

• Posted

Get him to ask his therapist tomorrow. But the GP shopuld really know about medicatiosn. Neville
  • Posted

Hi Caroline, I'm not an expert however when I went on Citalopram for the first time my doctor told me that any spike in an increased dosage could cause a paradox effect and make people feel worse... this is because the serotonin levels are mixing with normal serotonin. I started 10mg and went up to 20 after 5 days from memory. 

The side effects can take longer than 8 weeks however they will ease. If your really worried about your boy make sure you follow up with doc especially if he is really low keep him safe xx 

• Posted

Hi Stevo thanks for this. This is the hard part. Is it just taking time to take effect or is it too high? how do you know? We have a doctors appointment at the 5 and a 1/2 weeks point so that is proably good timing to see if there has been any change. When he is busy and social he is fine it is when he stays in and watches videos all day that the problems arise. Im hoping this is just a blip and that he starts settling on it with good days now if not we will revisit at 5 1/2 weeks. it is such a waiting game. Just awful to watch. 
    • Posted

Please don't allow him too much time on his own.....he needs some exercise/fresh air. Can he do some gardening, window cleaning,outside jobs for you. Or even inside jobs?

• Posted

You will notice that increase in about an additional two weeks.

If He was brighter on 20mg than the 30mg i would advise you discuss this with your GP and confirm His increase, then explain what has been happening now.

Did you discuss the revised drug with the CPN Did She advise on a different dose of your Sons Medication ?

If you see the GP next week again discuss what has been happening, Personally although I am not a GP it seems a heavy dose for a youth.

I must however say I would bow down to your GP decision.

Keep me informed on what has been suggested, we can give support for your worries

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.