Can a GP give you a sick note for depresion from the first visit ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I 've been depressed for a while now...but the last couple of weeks it s worst .even the daily things are hard to do..I cannot cook.i sleep a lot, ,and I really struggle to get up from bed and go to work even if I like my job . I have never had sick notes and I never called in sick .

This time I really think I need some time off. Do you think my GP will give me a fit note for that ? And also I wouldn't want my manager to know the reason .can he put a different reason ?

Thank you

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I know what your talking about. You go to ur family doctor and have the give a HLMF think that’s what it’s called but it’s an excuse for health issues that makes sure you don’t lose ur job also ur HR would know what it is plus they can guide you with information on it and they will keep it confordental so others won’t know about ur condition. Plus talk to your family doctor on what your going through with ur medication.. I went through it and now going through SSI .. hope it helps good luck to you. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your answer ! What is HLMF? And SSI? And another think , I don t have anyone here,friends or family ..if u get some time off from work ..u think i can go visit my family this time ? Or should I stay at home ?

I m just so stressed and confused I don't know what to and with who to talk

• Posted

It’s a doctors note standing if you call of sick from work cuz of ur condition you wont get a point for it for taking off work .. only ur family doctor can give you this. They will know what ur talking about when you mention it to them.  SSI is Social Security. What is , it’s for disabile so that I don’t work and I collect monthly checks.   When your working on ur pay stubs it takes out social security from you. So your getting money back from what you worked for it’s a long process to get it ..
  • Posted

If you're in the UK, yes a GP can give you a sick note the first time although this is at their discretion. If you don't want your company knowing why, they can put something general like stomach problems for the reason although it may be better to be truthful and use it as an opportunity to ask your employer for some extra support when you return.

And yes, if you are signed off work you can visit your family if you think it will be helpful - just maybe don't advertise the fact with any colleagues as it may be misinterpreted.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your answer ! It makes me feel a little better ,but I m still nervous to do that !what if they not gonna give me a sick note?they can refuse you ?
    • Posted

Yes, they can refuse but if you explain exactly how you're feeling, what you wrote here, they're unlikely to.

Try not to be nervous. Your GP is there to help you and will have loads of experience dealing with this.

Good luck, let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Thank you so much ! But the GP cam give you the note,or it has to be a doctor ? As I never had one before..
    • Posted

Hi ! Finally I had the courage and see my GP,and he didnt give me a sick note ..he just said u just have an anxiety but is better to go to work !!

So I 'll just have to push myself every day..maybe is better maybe not...just I m still feeling really bad!!

• Posted

I'm so sorry he didn't listen to you.

Please go back again if you don't feel any better (or feel worse). Do you normally have a good relationship with him? I know there's a couple of GP's in our surgery I always try to avoid as they're arrogant and don't actually listen. Maybe there's a different GP you could see?

Please don't suffer in silence. There is help out there, you just sometimes have to persevere to find it.

• Posted

Hi it has to be a doctor to give you a sick note.  You can also certify yourself sick for work for up to 7 days without a sick note so do this first before asking for one from the doctor.  If you need information on benefits look at the Govt.uk site.  

I hope you are feeling a bit better soon.  x

• Posted

Maria

Yes it can be done, I was withdrawn from work several times many years ago

One thing you need to consider, if you do not attend work for Depression could the fact of not being at work cause more negative symptoms as you sit at home worrying about your Depression it can be a real circle of bordom and depression.

Another problem you may have do you feel your employer will take you back or do you consider the job is dead and eventually they will get rid of you.

Sometimes  staying at work is a help to recover especially if allowed to attend a course of talking theraphy

BOB

• Posted

Thank you ! But I just feel I need a break ...and maybe because I feel really lonely here...I was thinking maybe If I 'll see my family it will help me. And maybe after that I will see if the problem persist...I din t want to be off work for long..maybe a week or 2 ,I know work can help you sometimes ...I don't exactly what to do...I m just stressing myself here if I should do it or not..

• Posted

I work in the USA. If we need extended time off for an illness we can coordinate it through our Human Resource Group. You inform your boss you submitted for extended medical leave, but you don't have to tell him the specific reason for it. I think it's company policy, but it's quite common in the USA.

We have older guys in my group, we call our team the 'Geriatric Squad'. lol. In the last couple of years we have had guys take extended medical leave for knee replacements, a minor stroke, an undefined gastro-intestinal illness, chest pains that were similar to a heart attack and so on.

I just took a week and a half off for severe depression which bordered on suicidal. I have never taken more than a day off at a time for illness in my 40 years of post college work, this was the first time. I was entered into an in-patient Psychiatric facility for a couple of days, then released on a day-care (nights at home) program which focused on stress reduction practices, anxiety coping and medication adjustment (there are Psychiatrist assigned to the facility). I was in bad shape last week, but through the love of others who INSISTED I be hospitalized I am much better today. Hope to go back to work next Monday.

So, if you're really feeling that bad I would expect there are similar programs where you are (England?). If your depression is so bad your worried about hurting yourself, get yourself admitted into a hospital with a Psychiatric Ward. A few days of rest, proper food, counselling and medication adjustment will make you feel MUCH better. Do it!

• Posted

Thank you ! Hope u will feel better !

No , I m not that bad, I mean I m not thinking to hurt myself or suicide..no!!

Just I feel real stressed palpitation ...and over thinking...but not hurt myself

• Posted

I had really bad anxiety after family problems, I was given a sick note without even asking for one on the first appointment,

I am sure if you ask the Dr they could put 'personal reasons' on the note  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.