Can a heart murmur still be heard after a TAA repair?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My sister had surgery to repair an ascending aorta aneurysm exactly two years ago and all want well. It was discovered through a routine check by her GP who picked up a murmur which he investigated further. Last week, she went to see her GP for a bad cold and once again he heard the murmur. Is it normal to continue to hear a murmur even after the aneurysm has been repaired?

The aortic valve did not need repairing and so was left untouched. could this be why the murmur is still being picked up?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary-

I would guess it's the Aortic valve causing the murmer. Reason being, my murmer was picked up occasionaly when I just had the BAV. Later, I developed a TAA, and had had them both replaced/repaired simaltaniously. I would tell her to see her cardiologist and have an echo to check the status of her valve. 

• Posted

Thanks Kristi and I agree that she needs to see her cardioligist. I still wonder how the leaking valve is linked to the aneurysm itself and what comes first. I have both an aneurysm and a murmur yet my third sister who is 10 years younger has an aneurysm but no murmur.
    • Posted

Are you scared! I am trying to destress about having this my aeortic thorascic anyuerism us 4.2 i feel like a walking time bomb!
  • Posted

I am so happy your sister did fine! I am doing the watchful eye on mine well the docs are its so stressful when i google!
    • Posted

I know the feeling of getting stressed as you read more and more on the internet. I go through phases of forgetting about it while at other times it is constantly on my mind. My next echo is due in June and so until then I remain hopeful that it has not grown. My sister (the one who already had surgery) will be getting an echo to check her latest murmur which her cardiologist says is faint but still needs checking.
    • Posted

Ya thats me too will forget about for awhile then focus on it. My next scan is August and I hope as well mine hasnt grown ugh! Did your sister find surgery awful? I am hoping its not as bad as i am envisioning it to be the whole sawing thru my chest bone is the worst thought! Where do u live? If u dont mind me asking. I am near Vancouver canada
    • Posted

I live in London but my sister lives in Malta. She had her surgery in London as there were no cardiologists in Malta who had recent experience in repairing an aneurysm in the arch of the aorta. The Maltese health system covered the costs of the operation and she stayed with me during the recovery period. My sister has two daughters and they have both been checked but so far nothing is showing. We have also been told that the rougue gene can be passed. I dont have any children myself but my youngest sister has 4 boys who will need to be montored too. Maybe we should consider ourselves as special rather than victims but it is not always easy. Anyway, leaving the office now but happy to continue the contact with you if it helps. Best wishes. Mary-Rose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.