Can a pessary help a rectocele

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a pessary fitted two weeks ago and my pressure sysptoms on my rectum ( grade 2 ) seem a little easier this last few days. It’s still very uncomfortable sitting but not as severe as previously. I realise things move around inside us but dare I hope that things could improve!,

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Taff, pleased to hear that all good so far with the pessary. I also had one fitted for a short time to treat Rectocele and Cystocele grade 2 and it did improve bowel function  and relieved pressure providing me with some much needed respite from the prolapses enabling me to enjoy a holiday abroad which we were ready to cancel as the problems emptying bowel and bladder and discomfort were taking over my life. The pessaries are an alternative worth considering for ladies either waiting for or not decided on surgery as I was, or if they are not suitable for surgery. I would certainly consider a pessary again in the future should my prolapses return in the future.
  • Posted

It was short lived have had awful discomfort especially when sitting for six months now.  Very worried about the cause.
  • Posted

Hello, 

i am awaiting I hope a pessary next week, on a small rectocele, would love to know if it works over time, or indeed is there anything else out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.