Can a salty Meal Spike Your Blood pressure

Posted , 7 users are following.

A friend had a physical today. Her blood pressure was measured at 190 over ...she didn’t say. She has been booked for an ECG. She believes the high reading is caused by a salty meal two days ago. Is this really likely? I was under the impression that it’s not an instant process the way she seems to think.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I don't really know, but I believe as you do that it's not normally something you can trace to a single meal, unless maybe the salt content is completely crazy.

• Posted

dave64969...I don't think just 1 salty meal would spike bp. A diet with a lot of salt certainly will, but not just a meal taken a few days prior.

• Posted

Hi dave64969. Try these natural diuretics, but watch out for the loss of minerals. Lemon

cucumber

peach

pineapple

pear

watermelon

tea

cofffee

chocolate

hawthorn berry

Parsley

celery seed

dandelion tea or dandelion coffee at Holland and Barrett

• Posted

jozsef81284...A person would have to consume an overabundance of what you suggest in order to lose minerals. Not eating foods with potassium, vitamins etc would certainly contribute to the decrease in these minerals. 

People need to be aware of their salt intake. Don't eat things like potato chips, popcorn (salted), foods high in salt...MODERATION is always the key. Packaged meats is a no-no., as is anything processed.

• Posted

Lemon

cucumber

peach

pineapple

pear

watermelon

tea

cofffee

chocolate

hawthorn berry

Parsley

celery seed

dandelion tea or dandelion coffee at Holland and Barrett

• Posted

I don't know but a bit after eating a frozen pizza my vision would get blurry where I otherwise have perfect eye sight.  Later in life I learned that high blood pressure did this.  So...there's that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.