Can a sinus infection cause stabbing head pains?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had classic sinusitis symptoms but am also experiencing stabbing pains in random parts of my head e.g. sides and back of skull. The pains last seconds and then go. I also have pressure pains at times. I've had a sinus infection before but did not have this symptom. Does it sound like it could be linked to a sinus infection? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it can cause all sorts of weird symptoms from toothaches to facial and cranial pain.  They call this referred pain. I thought I had a toothache but it was my sinus infection.  What worked for me was Flonase and using the Nasal cleaner machine aka Navage.  Avoid antibiotics if you can as it is better to let your own body eliminate the infection. The antibiotics cause all sorts of other problems and wipe out your stomach flora. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply... and yes I avoid antibiotics where possible as I am allergic to most classes and the ones I can take cause hideous side effects.
  • Posted

Hi,

I had this. I started with a bad sinus infection that took two rounds of anti bs to clear. I had stabbing pains all over my head in various places that cane and went. My GP said it’s because everything swells. The pains went on for 4 months after the infection had gone and I began to get stressed. I found cold air in my head made them worse so I diagnosed myself (via google 😂wink with occipital neuralgia brought on by the infection. It said it lasts about 5 months and sure enough it did then just went! Look it up, you might be the same.

Take care,

Cx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.