Can acid reflux cause left chest tightness and discomfort?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 20 and I've been suffering from left chest tightness for 8 Months now.I did and endoscopy and doctors said I had slight acid reflux.

My problem is that my left chest area around the heart feels very heavy , pressure and discomfort.It happens all day every day.

is this from my reflux or is it a heart problem like angina or something?

I've done Chest CTs too and x-rays

Normal.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes it does. For me it feels as though i am having tight chest but when i burp it would be a relief.
  • Posted

Hello,

if your doctor said you have a slight acid build up then he should have given pantoprazole. I have same and I have one each morning and one of an evening, have been on these tablets for nearly 7 years now, also I was getting breathless and a tightening of the chest my doctor  gave me a Ventolin  to  help with my breathing. I  also take Bisoprolol tablet for angina its a  form of betablocker its been doing ok for me so far, please go back and talk to your doctor and make them listen to you and get checked again ok, I do hope you get sorted, let me know and others how you get on ok take care. 

• Posted

They gave me a lot of meds

Xtac

Maalox

Controloc

Ganaton

Don't really work though

Also gave me 3 inhalers that don't help

• Posted

The short answer is that yes, it can: the nerve areas that affect the esophagus also affect the heart. It can even affect the law and arm. (As has happened to me, though this is NOT common.) That’s why it’s not terribly uncommon to hear that someone with GERD has died of a heart attack, believing that their chest discomfort was related to reflux. 

More importantly, have you had a stress test done? It sounds as if you’ve had a pretty good workup. The tests you may want to request, though, if you are truly concerned it’s your heart, are an ultrasound of the heart and a stress test.  These are the good standards when it comes to heart issues, short of a catherization (which is invasive and can cause its own issues). 

Additionally, anxiety may be an issue, and something you actually need to work on, since reflux can be made worse by anxiety meds. Find a psychotherapist and, if possible, a meditation class (or download apps to help with this). 

It’s a hard road, I know:  GERD diagnosed for 12 years, eosinophilic esophagitis, Esophageal dysmotility, plus a right bundle branch block and anxiety disorder. So yeah, I know. But working to get better and finally getting better—even if it is tenuous and requires work to upkeep—is SO worth it. You’ll feel like you’re on top of the world. 

• Posted

If you have checked with your doctor and it truly is reflux and nothing really seems to help. I would suggest trying to take something with tumeric in it. I can send you a couple of links to check out. It really helped me out a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.